Seafood and beer

I just wanted to move the seafood discussion. How about softshell crabs? I think they go well NEBCO Sea Hag

We had soft shell crab sandwiches in Fernandina Island once. Can’t say I was a fan. May be just how they were prepared it.

In the Keys stone crab claws are big. Both in size and popularity. If you break one off a stone crab, it grows back so it is a renewable food. There is even a special mustard sauce to go with them. You get a little mallet to crack them open and it is a mess but a lot of fun. Last time I had them was with Key West amber ale. A kind of blah amber I don’t think they really brew in Key West.

Once in a while we buy fresh yellowfin tuna from the fish market. My wife makes up roasted sesame sauce to coat it in then we sear it quickly and slice thin. Then dip it in sauce she makes and wasabi. Tuna are out past the reef a little farther than I would like to go in a 22’ boat so we stick to buying it and with any luck can catch yellow tail snapper in a little closer.

I have a friend who was traveling in the Caucasus Mountains. He and his traveling companions got hungry as they were driving and there were not a lot of options for food on the mountainous roads they were winding through. After some time, they came upon a small restaurant with some outside seating. They pulled over, sat down and waited to be greeted. Eventually, the chef himself came out and asked the travelers if they would like to see a menu. My friend said, “What do you recommend?” The chef replied without hesitation,“I recommend the fish.” All of the hungry friends agreed to have the fish. “Excellent choice,” stated the chef and turned around and yelled,“Hey boy! Go catch us four fish!” A boy from inside the restaurant came outside and ran down to a nearby stream. Apparently, it didn’t take long to be served and it was the best meal of their trip.

3 Likes

Yes soft shell crabs like any food needs to be prepared properly. Its like having 1 type of beer and declaring i dont like beer.

I used to have 19’ center console wellcraft it was self draining and was perfect between the swells where the bigger boats had trouble. As long as you were moving water came across the bow and left the stearn. That was when i was more daring. We used to love catching fluke out on Cape Cod and Blues and Stripers off Stratford CT. Back then dramk mostly American Lagers

Not a huge fan of seafood in general, I typically prefer my food with legs rather than fins. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: That being said, kinda like @squeegeethree’s post, I was on a work trip in Thailand several years ago and we went out to the sugar mills where our distributor was using our machine to overlay the crusher rolls. We went to lunch in between visits with the foreman of the repair crew. Fresh fish caught from the stream beside the restaurant. It was pretty tasty, although I’m not used to eating whole fish. . .

He told me to try the face, it was the best part! I did out of politeness, but it was not to my liking. :joy:

That same trip I had started in Japan and ate sushi for the first time in my life with our longtime Japanese distributor. It was amazing! So after our trip to the sugar mills, my Thai distributor took us out for sushi dinner, which was much better than lunch. :innocent:

:beers:
Rad

2 Likes

Iv had sushi but all i could taste was spice. I guess its about the texture. I eat fresh water fish as well but that is different than seafood.

Pictured directly above in Rad’s post is sashimi. I didn’t know the difference between sushi, which means i think means vinegared rice (not fish) and sashimi. Where I grew up it was all called sushi if it had uncooked fish in it. There’s no spice in its preparation as it is not cooked. The soy sauce and particularly the wasabi can be spicy. I’ve eaten the whole serving a wasabi given with these dishes serval times, first a dare and then the other times for fun. Wasabi is like horseradish. It is an instantaneous but fleeting heat that mainly hits your sinuses.

@radagast my dad taught me as a kid how to eat a whole trout and I really enjoy that way of serving.

I have nothing against sushi just dont see alot of it probably more popular in urban areas. What beer goes with sushi besides Kirin

I’ve been told by a well traveled salesman friend that the best sashimi and the best seafood are in the towns with UPS and FedEx hubs.
Philadelphia, Dallas, Rockford Ill, Miami

I believe sashimi is the thinly sliced raw fish and sushi is traditionally wrapped with the vinegar rice and can include raw fish. Wasabi and Soy sauce (I typically just drop a bunch of wasabi directly into the soy sauce vessel I’m using) go well for dipping. I was on a trip to Brazil 2 years ago and stayed in a Marriott and ate in the hotel every night for a week. They had a different all you can eat buffet each night. One night I walked in and saw Sushi and Sashimi and about jumped for joy! I think they lost money on me that night :joy: Typically sushi/sashimi goes well with any clean lager. I wouldn’t do anything too aromatic with all the wasabi.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

Got food poisoning from supermarket sushi once and haven’t wanted any since. :nauseated_face: Prior to that I had sashimi and sushi frequently.

I can’t reply… fresh water fish isnt seafood… but when I “see” them fresh from the lake/stream… I’ll eat them…
Crappies from under the ice… Walleye… oops, there I go, shooting typed words out there again…
Sneezles61

To this day I cannot eat Nutella after a drunken train trip where all I ate was Nutella and bread. Even Hazelnut coffee makes me a little sick

1 Like

A former neighbor owns a Thai restaurant in town and used to prepare the Sushi for the Publix market. After his family bought their own home the owner, it was the only rental, put the unit up for sale so we went in to take some photos in case someone we knew was interested. After seeing how “clean” the unit was we swore off the restaurant and he no longer seems to be at the market.

Too bad because he always treated us like royalty, gave us extras at the restaurant and went out of his way to say hello and be friendly anywhere.