Scored a 42 and no medal

They don’t show the others scores but is this out of the ordinary to have that many good beers in a category that score higher than a 42? It’s good to know the beer scored well but I’m kinda bummed I don’t get any hardware.

Guess I gotta brew it better next time!

Yes, a 42 and no medal does seem odd.

Depending on how many beers were entered in the category, there may have been multiple sets of judges. A beer one set might have thought was great may not have fared well when it came to the mini Best of Show. That being the case, beers that got a medal could possibly have had lower scores than yours.

Having stewarded a few comps, I can tell you it is a subjective game and there is a wide range of abilities of judges.

Either way it must have been a good beer to get that score, congrats.

The same thing has happened to me. Occasionally there are just a lot of really excellent entries into one category for some reason. Statistically, it’s going to happen now and then. So congratulations, you are now a statistic… and you also apparently brewed one very excellent beer! So be proud of it, regardless of medal.

What was the brew?

It was a Vienna lager. There were 19 entries in the category so more than a couple. It’s funny cause I entered this exact same beer in another comp and it scored a 36 and got a silver.

I also entered my most recent IPA which I think is really starting to come into its own in the last couple weeks. That scored a 35 so anxious to see the feedback on that one. Of course there were 27 entries in that category so I didn’t expect to medal there.

Great job! Not sure what competition you are talking about, I don’t compete. That said, shouldn’t be much longer to get my results/ranking for BJCP and plan to judge.

FYI, there are some heavy hitters in your backyard: from memory, there are like 2/3 guys with NHC wins for lagers and high ranking BJCP credentials and they are actively competing.

Also when they do the mini-BOS for the category they rarely look at the scores the beer were given and often be a different pair of people than originally scored your beer (almost always at least one of the judges in the mini-BOS). Also even if they do re-cellar your beer for the mini-BOS it’ll still be a fair bit warmer than it was originally, that can help/hurt depending on the beer.

After stewarding at a few large competitions it is apparent how subjective it can be, particularly by the time you make it to the mini-BOS since at that point all of the clearly faulted beers have been dropped out. Also in light lagers it feels like you tend to end up with better beers entered since few new brewers are going to take on the style.

You should be proud of a beer scoring that well, means it was very well done.

[quote=“zwiller”]Great job! Not sure what competition you are talking about, I don’t compete. That said, shouldn’t be much longer to get my results/ranking for BJCP and plan to judge.

FYI, there are some heavy hitters in your backyard: from memory, there are like 2/3 guys with NHC wins for lagers and high ranking BJCP credentials and they are actively competing.[/quote]

Thanks! This was the Schooner Homebrew competition in Wisconsin.

I’m still proud of the score, don’t get me wrong. I was just curious how the mini-bos round works and if they even consider the score but it sounds like they don’t. So it’s entirely possible my beer had the highest score in the category but still didn’t medal.

All in all, I was just looking for feedback on my brews. I don’t really have time to join a homebrew club so comps are my validation of my skill and where I get advice specific to my efforts.

Glad it worked out well for you. With that high of a score I doubt any criticism was noted…

So, I gotta ask, decocted or not? :lol:

[quote=“zwiller”]Glad it worked out well for you. With that high of a score I doubt any criticism was noted…

So, I gotta ask, decocted or not? :lol: [/quote]

O

M

G

:lol: