Schwartzbier ish ale

Had a beer i really liked, sacanac BLack lager a few months ago. I cant lager and i dont usually care for lagers but this beer has stuck in my head. Been meaning to do this for awhile while the weather is on my side but here it is tell me what you think.

For 3 gallons

3# munich(52%)
2# vienna (35%)
4oz carafa special III (4%)
4oz carawheat (4%)
4oz pale chocolate malt (4%)

.6 mt hood- 60min
.3 mt hood-20 min
.3 mt hood-5 min

Charlie papazian cry havok yeast fermented cool as possiple 55-60

The last part you mentioned (temp) is really key. I’ve only had a few Schwarzbiers, but they are SUPER clean (which can be achieved with an ale yeast at a low temp IMO) and well-attenuated, so that the subtle malt and noble hops can shine in balance. Make sure if the temp you are talking about is ambient/air temp to place your fermenter in a tub of water, so the yeast don’t raise the temp too much during the height of fermentation (if ambient is 55, the beer can get into the low-mid 60’s). The tub will make it hard for the yeast to raise the temp that significantly.

Three other suggestions:

-Grow up a real solid slug of that yeast. I don’t know the yeast you mention, but if its related to any of the west coast / pac nw ale yeasts, it should be fine. Based on mrmalty, you need two vials of it in a 2.65 liter starter if doing a simple starter. This will help you get those clean flavors of a good schwarz.

-I believe Mt. Hoods are related somewhere down the line to Hallertauer, but maybe consider just using something noble, even mittelfruh if you can get them.

-Start your fermentation at 55-60, then raise it up to the mid 60’s after the bubbling slows down a bit (usually after 4-5 days). This will ensure maximum attenuation and minimal ester/phenol/fusel production

No comments on the malt bill, but google up Jamil’s recipe, or Denny’s if he has one posted on the interweb.

I brew an ISA(India Schwarz Ale) that may help give you some ideas. Also, I usually mash at a low temp to keep the beer thin and add the dark malts right before draining the mash to keep the roastiness down.

20 Gallons

32 lbs Pilsen Malt 2-Row
4 lbs Munich 10L
2 lbs Carapils
1 lbs 8.0 oz Black Malt
1 lbs 8.0 oz Carafa II
5.00 oz Perle [8.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min
3.00 oz Select Spalt [4.75 %] - Boil 10.0 min
4.00 oz Select Spalt [4.75 %] - Boil 0.0 min