Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Scaling Question - Peach Wine

I was planning on starting a 5 gallon batch of the following Jack Keller Peach Wine recipe. The recipe is shown as a 1 gallon recipe, from what I gather. My question is how do I scale it. I assume everything here is essentially x5, but I would think the Campden tablet (I use powdered metabisulphate) would not scale to the same level. My assumed calculations are to the right. Just trying to see if anybody can confirm? Thanks!!!

Peach and Banana Wine

[b]3 lbs ripe peaches[/b]-----------15 lbs
[b]1 lb ripe bananas[/b]-------------5 lbs
[b]1-3/4 lbs granulated sugar[/b]-------------8.75lbs
[b]1/2 tsp citric acid[/b]---------2.5 tsp
[b]1/2 tsp pectic enzyme[/b]---------2.5 tsp
[b]5 pt boiling water[/b]-----------25 pt (I actually assumed I would scale the exact amount of water based on the hydrometer reading looking for something in the 20-24 brix range.)
[b]1 crushed Campden tablet[/b]---------1/2 tsp potassium metabisulphate
[b]1 tsp yeast nutrient[/b] -----------5 tsp yeast nutrient
[b]Sauterne or Champagne wine yeast[/b] -----------one packet of yeast (I have a fruit wine yeast for this)

Peel bananas, slice, and place in saucepan with one pint boiling water. Simmer 20 minutes, then strain without squeezing. Meanwhile, destone and slice peaches into primary. Mix half the sugar in with peaches and cover with four pints boiling water. Stir to dissolve sugar. When cool, add banana juice, citric acid, crushed Campden tablet, and enough water to bring total to one gallon. Cover and wait 12 hours. Add pectic enzyme, recover and wait another 12 hours. Stir in yeast nutrient and sprinkle yeast on top of must. Recover and ferment 3-4 days, stirring twice daily. Pour through nylon straining bag, squeezing well to extract as much juice as possible. Stir in half the remaining sugar, transfer to secondary and fit airlock without topping up. In 5 days add remainder of sugar, stir well, and refit airlock. When active fermentation dies down, top up and refit airlock. Rack every three weeks until fermentation is complete and wine clears. Wait additional three weeks and rack into bottles. Allow to age 3-6 months before tasting. [Adapted from Brian Leverett’s Winemaking Month by Month]

I did find the spot where Jack talks about his scaling. It is actually in the “Getting Started” section instead of the “Recipes” section as expected.

For anybody else who is curious he notes on his website to simply multiply the ingredients by the number of gallons to be made. Except for the yeast which would be one packet per 5 gallons. 6-10 gallons for example would require a second packet of yeast. He also notes he posts the amount of ingredients he used, but the wine would be better served to be adjusted as necessary by the maker as sugar content in the peaches he used for example are likely different than the ones I will be using etc.

The only other thing I’d hesitate to scale up would be the metabisulphate. I found another spot where he noted 1/4 tsp of the potassium metabisulphate should be enough for 5 gallons of wine, but technically to scale one campden tablet by 5 would result in an amount different than 1/4 tsp of metabisulphate. In this case I’ll probably go with a slightly rounded top on my 1/4 tsp.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com