Scale?

I am going to buy a scale for measuring hops, small amounts of grain. Want something good, cheap, simple, reliable. Mainly only going to need it for measuring 4 ounces or less. Anyone have any recommendations (or warnings)? Was probably just going to go to walmart.

Thanks

One word " EBAY".

Cheap digital under 10 bucks.

MaSheriff

Do you have a harborfreight near your area? I use the plain white one, it has a max capacity of 11 lbs. It can do pounds, onces, and grams.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... lt?q=scale

I use a general kitchen scale for grains. May not be the most accurate. But for hops, where I want a very accurate scale, I just went down to the Head shop and picked up a scale for $25. If it works for weeed it should be just fine for hops. Been using mine for 3 years with no issues. I use it to weigh sugar if when I prime in 1 liter bottles as well. It is in 1 decimal place intervals.

I paid 99 cents for mine on ebay. Search electronic pocket scale 600 gram

When you get one, test it with a nickel and it should read 5g.

[quote=“BrownsBeers”]When you get one, test it with a nickel and it should read 5g.[/quote]I tested mine and it reads 5 cents.

A scale like this works great for hops. The tare feature is a necessity. eBay Pocket Scale
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-pocket-scale-0-1g-x-500g-Touch-screen-MLSE-03-/230741604108?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b945770c

Thanks - that is just the type of thing I was looking for.

For $10, you should be able to find one with Buy It Now and free shipping.

I paid just under $30 for mine (from NB - the Escali ship something or other), but it weighs hops with plenty of accuracy and goes up to 30 or 35 #s for grain.

I have one of these that’s pretty nice:

http://www.americanweigh.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=2369

I’ve had bad experiences with the cheapos on Ebay. They wouldn’t hold calibration and weights would vary even when reweighing the same item. I highly recommend a better quality scale. I use a set of Acculab PP-250 for hops and salts.

Does this scale actually weigh to the .01 oz.? I’ve been searching for one and have come across some that say they do but don’t. Has made hop measuring a pain sometimes…

Mine does and it is dead nuts accurate and repeatable. Mine was 99 cents plus $8.99 S&H

Does this scale actually weigh to the .01 oz.? I’ve been searching for one and have come across some that say they do but don’t. Has made hop measuring a pain sometimes…[/quote]
The Acculab PP-250 weighs to 0.1g very accurately. And they come with a calibration weight for recalibrating. I have had my set for several years and the weights are still accurate when checked against my powder scales. Acculab scales are very high quality and I highly recommend them.
I have purchased two sets of cheapos off Ebay and I have had a friend purchase two sets as well. All four scales went in the trash. Glad to hear that some have had good luck with the cheapos. But IMHO, buying cheap brewing equipment is like buying cheap toilet paper.

No need to worry so much about such accuracy. We are brewing beer and it is pretty forgiving.

While I agree that buying on the cheap is never a good thing, I’ve been very successful with my cheap TP. I’m Leary of both as they do not give any indication of how accurate they are to the .01 oz. my current scale does .1 oz and I’m tired of converting to grams. Muller, if you tell me yours goes to .01 oz. I’m gonna have to try it. Just can’t justify a $150 to weigh hop additions at this time.

The Acculab PP-250B will weigh .01oz. You should be able to pick up a set of Acculab PP-250B, PP-201, or a PP-401 for around $50. Hopefully, you will have good luck with the cheapos. But, I’ve pretty much given up on buying cheap equipment.