Santa's Helper Question

I recently brewed a slightly lower OG AG version of Denny’s Santa’s Helper. A couple modifications: lower OG (1.054) and I used my preferred lager yeast (WY2007). The beer is fantastic.

I want to enter it into an upcoming local homebrew competition. My question is: what category should I select? It’s pilsener-like but without the noble hops. Any recommendations?

What style does it taste like? It may not have noble hops in it, but the Mt. Hood should taste about the same. That’s all that matters.

Thanks, Denny. If I didn’t make it, and someone gave me a glass of it, I’d think it was a pils - and a damn fine one at that.
Damn, I love brewing my own beer. :cheers:

Thanks, Denny. If I didn’t make it, and someone gave me a glass of it, I’d think it was a pils - and a damn fine one at that.
Damn, I love brewing my own beer. :cheers: [/quote]

Santa’s Helper is a all Munich beer. Kinda strange that it came out like a pils.

Does it taste like an alt?

Perhaps a bit but the lager yeast i use is extremely clean/neutral. It’s fairly light in color, very little hop aroma/taste and hops/malt are in balance.

Perhaps a bit but the lager yeast i use is extremely clean/neutral. It’s fairly light in color, very little hop aroma/taste and hops/malt are in balance.[/quote]

An extremely clean and neutral yeast should make it taste more like an alt. “Fairly light in color” puzzles me. I also made a scaled down batch of SH, but it’s definitely a light brown color.

to the OP: mind posting the recipe? Munich should not be light like pilsner malt is. maybe our definition of ‘light’ is slightly different