Sanitizers

I just started my first beer kit yesterday. My question is, Can I save the 5 gallon batch of sanitizer (starsan) it seems a waste to pour it down the drain. Can it be stored, and if yes, for how long?
Thanks,
Doug

[quote=“reefman”]I just started my first beer kit yesterday. My question is, Can I save the 5 gallon batch of sanitizer (starsan) it seems a waste to pour it down the drain. Can it be stored, and if yes, for how long?
Thanks,
Doug[/quote]

Yes, you can save it and reuse it a number of times.

It’s effective as long as the pH of the solution stays under 3.0. Store it in a bucket with a cover for best longevity. Make sure anything you dip into it to sanitize is clean and debris free and it will last a long time.

Thanks for the responses.

Also, it will last a lot longer if you mix it up with distilled or RO water. As long as the solution stays clear, I use it. When it gets kind of cloudy I remix a new batch. I store mine in a spare keg and basically use it until it’s gone.

Also consider using 2.5gal batches to make it go even further. Remember all you need to do is expose the item to the sanitizer. It doesn’t need to be completely covered.