Sanitising carboy

I have a quick question concerning sanitising my carboy with Easy Clean. If I sanitise my carboy and cover it with sanitised aluminum foil how long will it last. If I sanitise it today will it still be sanitized for use in the next 7 to 10 days. Thank you and Happy New Year to all.

easy clean is not a sanitizer, go get some star san or iodophor.
It only takes a minute or 2 to sanitize something so why not just do it before you use it.

As for doing it week before hand and covering it, it may be ok as long as it is a good seal and the area it is kept in, bacteria dont crawl around they can get blown around though. I do not see the point though when sanitizing is so quick

agreed - I, personally, would never use a fermenter that was sanitized a week ago. you need to use starsan or iodine, or something like that the morning of, or night before you brew. Fill up the fermentor, let it sit for a few minutes, empty it, turn it upside down and you will be better off. “Cleaning” may take a while, but final sanitizing only takes minutes.

I will just add comment to assure you that easy clean is not a “sanitizer” you have been subjected to the old 1980’s homebrew kit game…( for 20-30 years that product more recently and one step in the past have been sold as a “dual” purpose use–not exactly true per EPA to be specific.) That said I am still in awe that far too many LHBS the big boys included have not stepped up their game and re purposed starting equipment kits to include either one step, easy clean or PBW(my fave) for CLEANSING and then toss in a cheap bottle of Sani clean, Star san or Idophor. The real sanitizers without getting techie on you about other rare sanitizers.

Every time I hear this question in the last 10 years I FREAKING bang my head against the wall it is not even cool at this point.#1 LM Freaking AO!!! WTFook industry c’mon already it is dag on 2012. #2 I dont have a banging head smilie so I had to go off on the wall there folks!!!

I mean who else can jump in here for this new guy and just give a +1 for the cause!!!

+1

I “clean” everything with a long soak, and scrub with soft sponge in B-brite (preferably, or PBW, easyclean etc.) I rinse thoroughly. THEN I put it in a tub of iodophor for a few minutes, take out, don’t rinse and let dry upside down.

Walmart ( and other stores) sell some GREAT 18 gallon tubs (they look like plastic bushel baskets) that are ideal for soaking and sanitizing.

[quote=“ITsPossible”]That said I am still in awe that far too many LHBS the big boys included have not stepped up their game and re purposed starting equipment kits to include either one step, easy clean or PBW(my fave) for CLEANSING and then toss in a cheap bottle of Sani clean, Star san or Idophor. The real sanitizers without getting techie on you about other rare sanitizers.

Every time I hear this question in the last 10 years I FREAKING bang my head against the wall it is not even cool at this point.1# LM Freaking AO!!! WTFook industry c’mon already it is dag on 2012. #2 I dont have a banging head smilie so I had to go off on the wall there folks!!!
[/quote]

NB recently changed their starter kits to include both PBW and StarSan…

About time, I did not want to include our host in the rant or name/ names as they do good business and provide good resource within the company to educate recently and also provide us with this excellent resource as well, but there are far too many other big guys still on the head in the sand Biz and as you all can see from my prior post its a HUGE disservice to the community as a whole. Get your Shiz together industry start being responsible and help educate the younger consumers along with peddling your wares.

If you are not near a store, listen to the podcast on sanitizing with bleach, water and vinegar. Straight from the mouth of Charlie Tally of 5 Star Chemical. Maker of Star San.

http://hw.libsyn.com/p/3/9/0/390da96899 ... e61177c0d8

Listen for the amounts to be used.

I personally don’t find a problem with what you are asking…sanitize today, seal up the carboy, and then use it next weekend. A lot of people will sanitize their kegs/carboys ahead of time due to having a batch of star-san mixed up.
You may want to use saran wrap and then foil, and use a rubberband on the carboy neck to keep them on.

Huh, OK well two problems with that statement. #1 any amount of bleach used as a no rinse sanitizer is a known phenol problem waiting to happen. People still use it in slight concentrations but there are better alternatives again key term here “2012”.

#2 Vinegar in any concentrations used as a no rinse solution is a great way to add lacto to your cooled wort.

I hear your convenience add there Hawk and it was well meaning, but I would send a guy out to any local drugstore to grab iodine before either bleach or vinegar in any concentration.

Huh, Ok Hummel is right regarding put sanitizer in a vessel and dump out later etc… Two things though. #1 you need to make certain the vessel is sealed as he stated. #2 you have to actually use sanitizer.

I use buckets for primary and better bottles for secondary most of the time. I always wash the fermenters out with hot water and my hand immediately after racking and harvesting yeast. I then use about 1/2 gal of starsan to sanitize it, pour all but about a cup back into my starsan bucket and leave that cup of starsan in the fermenter until I am ready to use the fermenter. Then I give it a shake, foam it up really good, pour out the excess, seal with sanitized aluminum foil and rack from chilled kettle when ready. Just one less step on brewday.