Sanitation?

Hi all… relatively new to brewing. All, of the sanitizers I have found make 5 gallon batches. What are good options for sanitizing in between major steps… like if I just want to take a hygrometer reading?

Sent from my Surface Pro 2 using Tapatalk

Cut down the proportions. Say for example it says “Use 1 ounce in 5 gallons.” Thus to make 2.5 gallons of sanitizer, you would use 1/2 ounce. To make 1.25 gallons, you would use 1/4 ounce.

Or you use Star San and keep it in a closed container and check the PH before using it. Stuff will keep awhile like that.

Also, it’s real handy to keep some in a spray bottle.

+1 to both. I do both, it helps cut down waste/cost.

I am kind of repeating what was said above, but many of the comments above is exactly what I have done.

My advice:
Go to Home Depot, or Lowes, or something like that and buy one of their buckets and lids. I think they are $5-$7 or something like that. Also, my personaly recommendation, buy one of the nicer $3-$4 spray bottles. YES you can get the $0.99 ones at the dollar store, but I bought a really nice one once and haven’t regretted the wallet breaking extra $3 or so.

Make 2 1/2 gallon batch of Star San, store it in the bucket, and fill up about 1/2 the spray bottle.

Should last at least 4-5 brew sessions (brewing and later bottling). just check with a PH strip.

has worked well for me for years. I can make a $11 or so thing of star san last about 1 1/2 - 2 years…

[quote=“jimgroves”]Hi all… relatively new to brewing. All, of the sanitizers I have found make 5 gallon batches. What are good options for sanitizing in between major steps… like if I just want to take a hygrometer reading?

Sent from my Surface Pro 2 using Tapatalk[/quote]
I’m not sure you need to sanitize anything to take a humidity reading… :lol:

[quote=“Loopie Beer”][quote=“jimgroves”]Hi all… relatively new to brewing. All, of the sanitizers I have found make 5 gallon batches. What are good options for sanitizing in between major steps… like if I just want to take a hygrometer reading?

Sent from my Surface Pro 2 using Tapatalk[/quote]
I’m not sure you need to sanitize anything to take a humidity reading… :lol: [/quote]

Don’t you know as home brewers, we sanitize anything and everything. :smiley: even a humidity reader we don;t need.

I don;t want to say I go over board, but the dog now knows not to come within a 20 foot radius of my carboy anymore…