Sanitation qestion

How long after sanitizing a keg will it still be sanitary?

I cleaned and sanitized a keg probably 3-4 weeks ago. I sealed and pressurized w co2.

I have a batch ready to keg now. Am I OK to keg without resanitizing the keg?

Indefinitely with pressure. I routinely fill my cleaned kegs with a few cups of star San and pressurize. When ready to fill, I remove the star San and fill through the liquid out post. Top never comes off.

My process is similar to Holliday’s. I add one step: invert the keg and depress the GAS post valve to blow some starsan through the gas port. That may be overkill, but it only takes a few seconds and burns a couple of calories I can replace with beer.

Super!!! I usually ask questions but glad folks answered my question today!!

:cheers:

Thanks!

Do you put a liquid out disconnect on your siphon hose? I too clean, sanitize, and pressurize prior to storage… do you just put a gas disconnect on to relieve the pressure while transferring? Just trying to wrap my mind around the process…

-Tony

Do you put a liquid out disconnect on your siphon hose? I too clean, sanitize, and pressurize prior to storage… do you just put a gas disconnect on to relieve the pressure while transferring? Just trying to wrap my mind around the process…

-Tony[/quote]

You can do that or if you have ball lock kegs just pull on the PRV occasionally to vent it as you fill.

Yes as mentioned above. I have an mfl connectors attached to the end of my siphon hose. When filling a keg, I sanitize everything, including the liquid out connector and fill through the liquid out post. I have ball lock kegs so I keep the pressure relief valve open when filling. My buddy has pin lock kegs and puts a gas in connector on the gas side when filling his.

Thank you. I guess you never have any issues overfilling a keg with the lid on? Or should I fill on a bathroom scale and stop on estimated weight? I am still tuning my new 72 quart cooler setup and had a batch recently that was a bit much for my 5 gal ball lock.

-Tony

I’ve over filled plenty of kegs, and it’s a mess! My new procedure is to crash the beer for a few days so it’s cold before racking into the keg. The temperature of the beer creates the slightest condensation on the outside of the keg. It’s typically a pretty good marker. As you get more comfortable with your system, you will be able to get the right amount into the fermenter and then into the keg perfectly; it just takes a little practice.