Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout extract recipe

So, I tried Samuel Smith’s Chocolate Stout over the weekend, and it was delicious. I was wondering if anyone had a recipe, or even a good place to start to try and make this beer? I don’t need it to be organic, but I did enjoy the taste, mouthfeel, etc so I would like to make it as close as possible. I’m looking for an extract version because I don’t have the time or space to do all grain.

Thanks

I’m on a quest for this as well. I have two brews in front of it, but I think I’ll give it a go in about a month. My plan, at least for now, is to base it on the oatmeal stout. A clone recipe can be found floating around online. I think the flavor is kind-of close. The oatmeal stout is more roasty and bitter, so I think I’ll reduce the roasted barley and add some chocolate or pale chocolate malt, and lower overall IBUs somewhat. Add cacao nibs in secondary with some vanilla beans, as the organic chocolate stout really tastes strongly of vanilla to me.

I have no idea if this will come out anywhere close. Probably not. But I should have an answer in a couple months!

So, I’ve been playing around with a recipe and I feel like it could be close, but I don’t have anything to compare it to. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

5 gallon batch
3 gallon boil

OG 1.058
FG 1.018
Abv 5.29%
IBU 27.95

Fermentables
6lb LME dark
1.5 DME dark

Steeping grains:
.5lb English extra dark crystal
1lb Fawcett pale chocolate Malt

Hops
1.5oz Cluster (60 min)
.3 oz Cluster (30 min)

4 oz cacao nibs for secondary
some vanilla at bottling?

The real thing states IBU’s at 28, OG 1.059, ABV 5%

I’m worried I may be using too much steeping grains, but the other numbers seem to look good to me. I’m trying to get that nice sweet chocolate taste, but I’m completely guessing on how to get there.

Did you ever make this?

I just bottled my attempt this weekend, and as expected I have some more homework to do. I’ll withhold judgment until it’s carbed and chilled, but here are my thoughts for what it’s worth…

I used 1# chocolate malt and 1/2# crystal 60. Thought it was OK but I think I’ll up it to crystal 120 next time.

Had 30 IBU with EKG, it seemed just about perfect. Ended up being 1.5 oz for a 5-gallon batch.

8 oz cacao nibs went into secondary after soaking in vodka for 2 weeks. The chocolate was there, but more of a bittersweet dark chocolate flavor. This needs some more work. Also, I used 2 vanilla beans. Next time it will just be one.

The oats gave the smoothness I was hoping for. If it’s remotely similar to the actual beer (and remote it is at best…), it’s because the oats gave it a really nice mouthfeel.