Samuel Adams Tasman Red IPA

Found this at my local bottle store. It is a nice deep red color and has a nice hop aroma. It doesn’t taste as hoppy as I’d expect from an IPA but it is a very good beer. I am looking forward to trying the other small batch sam beers that were there.

I am not the biggest fan of SA due to their use of honey malt in some of the brews as it gives a cloying sweet/ malty body I dont care for. That said I will still partake of the Boston ale from time to time. But the main reason I responded to your post is to mention the latitude 48. I had stumbled across this one a year ago as it is a good study in single hopped beers. The six packs are a blend of all the hops used. (IE: Hallertau Mittelfrueh, East Kent Goldings, Simcoe, Zeus and Ahtanum and the beers mighty tasty. BUT the 12 packs labeled Latitute 48 “deconstructed” are 2 bottles of each singly hopped. (IE: in the 12’ers are 2 of the above blend, 2-Hallertau Mittelfrueh, 2-EKG, 2-Simcoe, 2-Zues and 2-Ahtanum.)

I got exactly what I expected from the 3 first hops and it was gravy as I enjoy all those varieties.
The one I have not had other than in blends was the Zues and I knew what to expect as it is a bitter monster by itself. But a good look at what it will lend to a beer.

The one hop that surprised me because I haven’t used it, was the Ahtanum. This is a great hop in my opinion and this SA venture is the one I can credit for opening my eyes on this particular hop in the future.

[quote=“ITsPossible”]BUT the 12 packs labeled Latitute 48 “deconstructed” are 2 bottles of each singly hopped. (IE: in the 12’ers are 2 of the above blend, 2-Hallertau Mittelfrueh, 2-EKG, 2-Simcoe, 2-Zues and 2-Ahtanum.)

I got exactly what I expected from the 3 first hops and it was gravy as I enjoy all those varieties.
The one I have not had other than in blends was the Zues and I knew what to expect as it is a bitter monster by itself. But a good look at what it will lend to a beer.

The one hop that surprised me because I haven’t used it, was the Ahtanum. This is a great hop in my opinion and this SA venture is the one I can credit for opening my eyes on this particular hop in the future.[/quote]

Wow…I had no idea that they did this “deconstruction”. I’m really interested to see what the single-hopped versions taste like. Seems like an excellent learning experience and a hell of a lot cheaper than 10 Mikellers…