Samual Smith Oatmeal Stout

Last weekend, I took my family to PF Changs, where I order Sam Smith’s Oatmeal Stout. It was served with a frozen fluted beer glass. I was, at first, leery of the brew, as there was almost no head, but my affection was soon won. While it had much of the traditional stout flavors-- the hint of coffee and dark chocolate, it was sharp and crisp with a lingering robust flavor.

I knew I had found a beer that I’d return to, because I found myself thinking about it every day afterward, but partially because I couldn’t recall the name of the beer. I just remembered that I had ordered an oatmeal stout.

So, I called PF Changs and spoke to the bar keep. Before she would tell me the name, she squealed with delight that I was asking the question. Apparently, it was her favorite, and my asking was validating her opinions.

“Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout,” she said. So, I drove over to Richfield Liquor to buy some. They sell it in single 550 ml bottles with a gold foil wrap for about $4.50 each. I got three.

That is a great stout. Try it at room temperature. Samuel Smith makes some really great British ales.

+1

One of my favorite offerings from Samuel Smith.

Oatmeal Stout is great, I’m more of a fan of their Tabby Brown. Tastes like chocolate, even though there’s no chocolate in it!

I’m guessing you mean Taddy Porter…which I agree is really great, narrowly beating out the Nut Brown Ale for my favorite Samuel Smith’s.

I’m guessing you mean Taddy Porter…which I agree is really great, narrowly beating out the Nut Brown Ale for my favorite Samuel Smith’s.[/quote]

Right. It’s a “Brown Porter”

Samuel Smith’s Oatmeal Stout is the beer that got me started on craft beer.

Same here. And I’ve tried at least four attempts to make an oatmeal stout that would give that same creamy texture as Samual Smiths without success. If anyone knows that secret, post it here :wink:

I love this beer, although I wish they would package it in brown bottles. I’ve had a really hard time getting one that’s not skunky. After a couple skunkers I quit buying them.

The nut brown and Taddy porter are fantastic, as is their Imperial Stout.

Jamil has a porter inspired by Taddy in BCS. Might have to place that one high on my brew list.

Samuel Smiths ferments their brews in limestone open fermenters. I thought they stopped bottling in clear bottles years ago. Nut Brown is also my fave. The Stingo is very good also.

[quote=“El Capitan”]I love this beer, although I wish they would package it in brown bottles. I’ve had a really hard time getting one that’s not skunky. After a couple skunkers I quit buying them.
.[/quote]

I could be losing my mind, but I could swear they come in brown bottles now. I will check that out.

Well, I hope you’re right! If so, I’m going to pick some up next time I’m at the store. I think I’ll go ahead and brew up a Taddy Porter clone soon too.

I think you guys are right. I remember the clear bottles, but haven’t seen them in a while. I know I bought the imperial stout 4 pack in the past 6 months, and those were in brown bottles.

When I purchased them in single 550 ml bottles last weekend, they were brown bottles.

Today’s my birthday, and part of my celebration will be to have one (or more) of these.

well, happy birthday :cheers:

One of my favorites. I think the lack of head on the beer might have been due to the frozen glass. I usually get a pretty decent foam when drinking it at room temp from a normal glass.

I get Samual Smith varieties in 22 oz brown bottles for $2.99 around here (Chicago 'burbs). I like them a lot.