Sam Adams Clone

Has anyone used or know of any issue using White Labs WLP820 for a Sam Adams clone? I told the local homebrew store I wanted to make a Sam Adams clone. He put together the ingredients for me which included the WLP820. Just wondering how an Oktoberfest/Märzen yeast will work for this lager.

Crypto

[quote=“cryptologic”]Has anyone used or know of any issue using White Labs WLP820 for a Sam Adams clone? I told the local homebrew store I wanted to make a Sam Adams clone. He put together the ingredients for me which included the WLP820. Just wondering how an Oktoberfest/Märzen yeast will work for this lager.

Crypto[/quote]

It should work fine… after all, O-Fest/Maerzen yeast is a lager yeast.
Truth is, I’ ve even made a pretty convincing Sam Adams clone with an ale yeast. Different yeasts have different characteristics for sure, but sometimes it’s more about the ingredients in general.

i’ve made it with 2206 and it turned out very good.

Any idea how long until I can some fermentation? I put the yeast in about around 5am before I left for work. No activity yet (that I can see anyway). Temperature is at 55F. Yeast was at that same temp when I added it. I left both in the fermentation chamber (old fridge with a two stage thermostat) overnight to make sure the temps had leveled out.

Starter? Maybe 48hrs. No starter, 72.

Give or take 12 hours.

WLP820 is a crap yeast that should not be sold, IMHO. It is VERY slow to start, and your final gravity will be very high. Being that it’s already pitched… I hope I am wrong, and I wish you luck.