Salts question?

When using Epsom salts to balance water (I use brewin’ water software) what brand or kind do most of you use? Will any plain non scented Epsom Salt from like Walgreens or CVS be ok?

You might want to make sure you need Epsom salts at all. In a recent discussion on the AHA forum it was pretty well established that they’re generally unnecessary.

well according to the brewing water software they are needed to get close to the London water specs.

I am brewing a brown ale this weekend and matched London water for the recipe.

I can’t speak with any authority on whether it is useful or not, but I bought mine at the local Rite-Aid. Just make sure it says it is ok for internal use.

Yes Epsoms salts from a drug store are food-safe. I use a little but not nearly as much as some programs would call for. I’m kind of a minimalist when it comes to brewing water. Recreating famous waters is a sticky wicket, theres a lot of argument over what is in a particular region’s water.

Really? I missed that one. I would think you’d need magnesium for yeast health.

Though Magnesium is an important co-factor for various enzymes during fermentation and also supports peptidase enzyme activity during mashing its presence in the water is not required since the malt adds on the order of 130 mg/l (4 l/kg mash thickness)

[quote=“Beerginer”]Though Magnesium is an important co-factor for various enzymes during fermentation and also supports peptidase enzyme activity during mashing its presence in the water is not required since the malt adds on the order of 130 mg/l (4 l/kg mash thickness)

Huh…well I’ll be dipped. I guess maybe I’ll stop worrying about magnesium so much.

Really? I missed that one. I would think you’d need magnesium for yeast health.[/quote]

The grain itself supplies all the magnesium you need usually.