Saison Style

Underpitched my OYL-500 and 36 hours I have the beginnings of a thin krausen

1 Like

Tomorrows adventure…
3 lbs Pils
3 lbs wheat
3 lbs Rye…
I’ll look for 1.044 Starting Gravity…
I’ll scoop out approximately 1/2 the yeast too… Need to get some Apple Joose going…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Just mashed in… Now I’m lifting my basket up so the HL is just under the top of the grist… Think thats like mashing with less liquid? I’ve always just totally submersed the grist since using a basket…
Sneezles61
EDIT: Post mash gravity is very low… Next time I’ll leave the basket all the way in…
YET ANOTHER EDIT:… The sample I just kegged has a bubble gum back ground… so maybe it turned out to be a Saison?
ONE MORE EDIT: in the fermenter… I became very afreared when it looked like cloudy Zuma!! So I added 8 oz flaked maize… Tweaked the final gravity to get to 1.044…
AND THE MORNING AFTER…EDIT: I dumped the wort on the yeast cake about 3 pm yesterday… At 7 am… its bouncing from .009-.014… 76*F… Crazy fast consumer (the yeast)!

Imagine… this was brewed on July 6th… Crazy…
Sneezles61

5 Likes

what’s the verdict? How do you feel about those Saison yeast contributions?

Its a good brew… The banana-bubble gum background flavors sure do make for an unique tongue taste… At 6.5%… just a couple and… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Theres one in the fermenter… and I will brew one more… Almost thinking of an IPA grainbill on the Say-Son yeast… Tried that yet?
Sneezles61

1 Like

22 days and my Saison is at 1.028 Just wait?

Air locker on it?
Sneezles61

The one I brewed on Wednesday is at .999 now!! not even 48 hours into it!
Sneezles61

Yup on all 3. Filled w vodka.

That could be done fit’s not moving.

It’s down 12 points from your last check in so it’s still chugging along. I would give serious thought to just sanitized foil Instead of the airlock. I’ll check my notes but it can take a full month of fermentation with 3724.

The Belle saison yeast used by @sneezles61 Is a totally different beast than the Dupont 3724 strain. It (Belle)produces different esters,more peppery and ferments much faster than the finicky 3724. However the 3724 is worth the wait in my experience, I’ve made some nice saisons with 3724 and I love everything Saison Dupont makes

1 Like

I have a micro cloth that was dunked in sanitizer and wrung out, over the blow hole…
Sneezles61

1 Like

My harvest yeast, that I attempted to under pitch , 1.056 to 1.006 in 5 days. The first 3 days in the high 60’s and then naturally raised to 80F

Im really not that impressed with the speed, heck US-05 would be finished in a couple days at those temperatures. The esters are what is important and keeping the fussels in check. When i first started brewing i started with Saison styles and fermented warm and fast. Got some crazy esters and some huge headaches. Now i start them under 70 for a few days then warm them up. Im on vacation now and I’ll keg it when i get back.

some strains stall. that’s the only point of relating speed. Ive not experienced fusel alcohols since i got my temperature control down as well

1 Like

K… I’ll weigh in…
This brew is good… And the next one is ready too keg…
Quick carb’n gets a pint out very quickly… I’ll be interested to see how it ages… Really not a bad brew… Dry is a taste I like…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Why the foil instead of the airlock voodoo? Just over the airlock hole? The wort looks OK but cloudy and tastes good. I don’t care how long it takes other than it is tying up my fermenters. I can always rack to 5 gallon glass carboys if needed. Have a few of them. I can’t see 1.028 being done. It would be too sweet and you wouldn’t dare bottle it that high even though it will all be kegged…

Isn’t aluminum foil sanitary right off the roll?

There are a few theory’s out there that Saison yeasts don’t do well under pressure… So try one and see… Another fella I know sez it just takes some Saison yeasts a while to do their job…
Sneezles61

1 Like