Saison Style

Not unprecedented…… think you’ll be fine matter what you do but I would definitely do the foil thingie. The infamous “Saison stall” It’s not a complete stoppage.It kind of slowly chugs along in my experience.

2 Likes

Checked on it this morning and not much action. Looks like there is still head pressure in all three vessels though. I’ll give it a few days, keep it warm and take another reading before any drastic measures.

1 Like

there are some picky saison strains. i use the less picky ones now without any issue.

I’m into now…
4.5 Pils
2.5 Vienna
1 wheat…
Was adjusting me water… shaking the pH meter… Right in the kettle it went!! :scream: I retrieved it quickly and dried it off…
I still need to confirm my conversion pH yet…
Sneezles61
EDIT: 20 minutes into mash… pH started at 5.8… now the grist added… down to 5.4… I’m good!
EDIT#2: Mash out pH remained 5.4… Gravity is 1.030… Just a bit low if I’m going to end at 1.044… Perhaps I’ll use some table sugar to up the gravity once its about time to chill…
Another EDIT: I ended up adding 12 oz table sugar… gravity (pre chilled) 1.044… I did run the recirc port alot slower than I usually do… Maybe?

yeast strain?

Belle Saison… I resurrected it… thought I texted about it above a ways… I put the fermenter outside, on an old metal shop stool… but its going to be cool for the next few days here… 38*F tomorrow night… Should I bring it in?
Sneezles61

Oh right you said that after the long weekend in the woods I’m not that sharp.
Definetly keep it warm 38F is a deal breaker

1 Like

Resurrected ? Saison yeast generally don’t hold up on a second pitch if that is what you mean. It ferments fine but ive found it doesn’t throw as many esters

That’s true for most strains I’ve found. Some of the newer strains have more life to them, I never make a starter though.

Absolutely, really good point. Similar to hefe yeasts.

Holy crap! 38* ? In July? Dayumm. I was happy to see 58* in Michigan on Friday.

2 Likes

I was old yeast… I dunno much, if anything about Saisons… sounds like I’m off to a crappy start… I’ll go bring it in… put it on a seedling starter warm pad… I hope it turns out like … beer :disappointed:
Voodoo, hunker down… Its going to be a rough patch… then up towards DannyBoy…

1 Like

It’ll be fine and most likely delicious

Well the heat pad has it all the way up to 68*F!! Warming up nicely… I put a Micro fiber towel, soaked with Star san over the blow hole… then a light plastic bowl… I’m hoping to keep the unwanted riff raff away and not have any head pressure…
Sneezles61

I checked the Tilt/Saison… Temp at 75*F, gravity down to 1.019!! Thats a 25 point drop! Or its fermenting so vehemently the Tilt is getting bounced around…
So You are saying Not to re-use the yeast?
Sneezles61

I’ve been operating under the assumption and experience that you can take saison (specifically Belle Saison) yeast into the 80’s to bring out the banana/ fruit esters and into the 60’s to bring out the peppery ones.

I have a 30 gallon ceramic crock of my grandmother’s in the basement I’ve been toying with the idea of doing a Saison in. She used to do pickles in it and was staunchly against alcohol so maybe I’d be pushing my luck. :wink:

2 Likes

I watched the Tilt app just a bit ago… 1.024 down to 1.014… so yeah… its bouncing about…
Temp is at 79F… I put it back outside… its 65F…
Sneezles61

That rock is from Mt. Rushmore… I didn’t want the wind to blow the “blow hole” protection away…
It was down to 78*F… brought back in doors on the seedling Matt…
Sneezles61

Did that break off one of the faces? Mount Rushmore area is very controversial

1 Like

Checked on my Saison this morning and the gravity has dropped to about 1.036 so slowly it is doing its thing I guess.

Saisons are supposed to finish dry? I do have some wine yeast on hand if it comes down to it. Just wait? Kind of fun watching it go somewhat different than almost any other beers I have brewed.

1 Like