Saison Style

Well now… kegged my little Say-Son yesterday, :thinking: day before? The first sample is good… dry… not sweet… I swear I can smell a Duvel aroma… I’ll be eager to sample some more on Turkey day… as it gets to maturity…
Sneezles61

1 Like

About 15 seconds after the other picture… I had 4 of those little snit glasses… very nice brew… I’m a thinking next week this ones big brother… O-fest will be ready…
Belgium lacing… someone cared about their mashing technics…
Sneezles61

3 Likes

Never thought about it. Got some. Mandarin tree in my yard. Should try it.

I was just at Crisp Malt’s site… they have a whole bunch of recipes there… Its in 10 BBL and %'s… so you can figure out yer own 5-10 gallon ripe…
Sneezles61

The Say-Son is purr-fect now!
I hope my O-fest will become similar…
Sneezles61

4 Likes

Perhaps time to dive in? I’ll be looking at my supplies in the next couple days… I do have the yeast. High alpha hops, but that don’t seem appropriate for this style…
Sneezles61

Have you made a saison before? Before I had temperature control and had to ferment at ambient that was a style I made in summer along with the Hefenweizen

Yes I have. The first couple I did temp control. Wasn’t impressed. The last one I did, it was quite warm, that one turned out very nice.
I’m thinking it has some shared qualities of Kviek yeast. I’ll start with a low ABV. Some citrus to enhance the summer appeal.
Sneezles61

Before this topic sinks back into the tar pits again, here is some very recent additional information from Denny and Drew on the infamous saison stall, and the open fermentation that reduces it….and new theories on why that is.

I’ve not had a stalled ferment but, when fermenting cool the “saison” flavor did not come through… when fermented warm, it went fast and had the banana “saison” flare…
I see I’m about out of wheat…
Sneezles61

Yeah, I didn’t heat mine to some crazy kveik temp, but I didn’t refrigerate it either. Ambient indoor temps so the fermenter was likely pushing 80*F with exothermia.

2 Likes

I think that’s why Drew(experimental brewing) likes Saison, warm where he is and makes a good brew…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Bump. Was just reading back on this fun thread. Got one going now with peaches. Never got it into the orchard but its hot out so fermenting with belle saison at ambient. Fermentation reading 76f. I put some peaches in it

3 Likes

I did a Cider with it once in my cool downstairs… I swear that’s why it threw off a mouse-y nose… was hard to drink…
Then I did another one, and some brews in the summer temps… Now that, I thought was very good!
Yes, I used an air locker and I thought I had to un-lock it to finish… It stuck above 1.010… now I should go look for my notes… think it finished close 1.000. I have more of that yeast in wait…
Sneezles61
Edit: just looked back… yup, repeating myself… never mind.

Cider should be fermented cool. I don’t think I’d use a yeast forward strain in a cider. I’ve actually stopped using beer yeast in my apfelvien and ciders. Very very happy with Premier Clasique wine yeast very clean lets the apple flavor shine

Although I would maybe throw some apples in a saison. I’ll see how this peach comes out. I have a bunch of pears this year I’m thinking some of those in a saison might be nice.

Would the fruit flavor be more if it was done post ferment?
Sneezles61

Well its a saison not a fruit beer so I added it to the boil I’m just after the sugar. Maybe a passing hint of aroma. Besides it’s traditional to use whatever is on hand at the time. The peach sugar should dry it out without making it to thin. I’m not afraid of some haze in a saison. At least this is what I’m seeing in my minds eye

1 Like

Even a thin brew with high carbonation can fool the tongue,
Sneezles61

Not sure what you mean