Saison quit early

I brewed a saison almost 4 weeks ago and it is at 80 degrees but it is stopped at 22, I am hoping to get it down to 1.006. I had a low mash temp of 140 for 30 and 148 for 60 minutes with a little more than a pound of sugar for 6.75 gallons. Does anyone have a suggestion what yeast to use to get it down like it should. I used the french saison yeast. I am debating between cal ale, or the dry belgian yeast that has the peppery flavor like a saison, Safbrew T-58. But should I do a starter or dump it in.

Thanks

Erik

no expert but isnt that yeast notorious for stalling out

If you used WY3711, I’m surprised that it crapped out so high - it’ll usually go into single digits unless you do something to stop it, even if fermented in the low 60s. Have you tried rousing the yeast? And just to check, are you using a refractometer for the FG reading and not accounting for the alcohol content?

I am using an hydrometer. When you say rouse the yeast up, do you mean just stir it or what? It is at 80 degrees right now

Stir it gently with a sanitized spoon or swirl the bucket/carboy gently. I had a saison stall at 1.033 for a week then kick back into gear and ferment down to 1.009 so maybe you have that going on.

Thats pretty shocking that it stalled out. The French Saison yeast is a juggernaut of a yeast. I had one go from 1.062 to 1.002. It just keeps going and going and going. Did you have any temp swings during fermentation? If so that may have been what is the cause of the yeast stalling.

BTW the other yeast that is notorious for being finicky is the white labs WLP565 Saison Ale Yeast and wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison Yeast

[quote=“2me”]Thats pretty shocking that it stalled out. The French Saison yeast is a juggernaut of a yeast. I had one go from 1.062 to 1.002. It just keeps going and going and going. Did you have any temp swings during fermentation? If so that may have been what is the cause of the yeast stalling.

BTW the other yeast that is notorious for being finicky is the white labs WLP565 Saison Ale Yeast and wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison Yeast[/quote]

Ah yeah nevermind. I used the BElgian Saison yeast. Not the French saison yeast. I want to try it now though

With the 3724, give it more time and keep it warm, it should get the job done.

If it doesn’t, I have read a number of people suggest adding the 3711 to finish off a stuck saison.

I pitched the 3711 French saison, NOT 3724

I did the 3724. Sorry to trhow the confusion in there.

Give it time. and keep it warm. It seems like the 3711 will get you where you want. Every batch has its quirks

3711 is a great yeast. Don’t make sense to me. All looks good. Maybe a bad yeast or temp swing, or something equally odd…

Another option is throwing some funk in there and check it out in 3 months.