Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Saflager W-34/70

Has anyone had much experience with this yeast? For dry lager yeast where I am located all stores go for the S-23 strain. I noticed in the descriptions that the 23 can impart mild fruity esters which don’t seem to work well with most lagers.

The 34/70 has a lower rating for superior alcohols and finishes a little dryer by the sounds of it.

Just wondering if it is worth a try for basic lagers, or if it would be more geared to other specific styles.

Yes, it’s a good yeast. It’s pretty neutral and ferments pretty dry without much, if any, diacetyl production.

How would it compare to the s-23 in your opinion?

S-23 is a steam beer yeast, not intended for true lagers fermented at cool ~50 F temperatures.

W-34/70 is a fantastic lager yeast and will produce an excellent lager fermented at 48-52 F.

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]S-23 is a steam beer yeast, not intended for true lagers fermented at cool ~50 F temperatures.

W-34/70 is a fantastic lager yeast and will produce an excellent lager fermented at 48-52 F.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. The store I work at has been limited in what we could get as far as yeast goes - 04 / 05 / S-23 / Nottingham.

Now it looks like we will be able to get all strains from fermentis.

So if there are any other suggestions of preferred yeasts from their ranks I’d love to hear them.

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”][quote=“dmtaylo2”]S-23 is a steam beer yeast, not intended for true lagers fermented at cool ~50 F temperatures.

W-34/70 is a fantastic lager yeast and will produce an excellent lager fermented at 48-52 F.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. The store I work at has been limited in what we could get as far as yeast goes - 04 / 05 / S-23 / Nottingham.

Now it looks like we will be able to get all strains from fermentis.

So if there are any other suggestions of preferred yeasts from their ranks I’d love to hear them.[/quote]
What Dave said…I’ve never used S-23 and don’t intend to based on what I’ve read about it. The 34/70 is supposed to be the dry form of WY2124 Bohemian Lager yeast from Weihenstephaner, I think, so it’s a solid and clean yeast. I’ve used it a couple times and it performs very well down to 48F. I’d even try going lower if I had a nice huge repitch, maybe down to 46F.

Did a 10 gallon batch of Helles where I didn’t have enough time to build up enough 2124 so I pitched 1/2 with 2 packs of 34/70 and 1/2 with 2124. I fermented them side by side at 49F. When trying them side by side there are maybe some very subtle differences but I’m not certain I could tell them apart if I wasn’t specifically trying to pick them out. Even then I didn’t prefer one over the other. Only difference I did notice is 2124 seemed to drop clear a fair bit easier.

Those were my observations using this yeast strain on our host’s munich dunkel recipe. Very easy to work with. :smiley:

Any idea how it works at temperatures above lager temps? I imagine this could be the reason a lot of kits in my region use the s-23. If they assume most people are not fermenting at ideal temps, perhaps the s-23 could be a better choice for this reason?

From the sounds of it, the 34/70 is definatel the way I will be going.

[quote=“Brew Meister Smith”]Any idea how it works at temperatures above lager temps? I imagine this could be the reason a lot of kits in my region use the s-23. If they assume most people are not fermenting at ideal temps, perhaps the s-23 could be a better choice for this reason?

From the sounds of it, the 34/70 is definatel the way I will be going.[/quote]

Well, I’ve used WY2124 at ale temps before for a 1554 clone and it works pretty well. Never done it in a light beer, but I think you could create a good steam beer fermenting at 58-60 with it.

Did a 10 gallon batch of Helles where I didn’t have enough time to build up enough 2124 so I pitched 1/2 with 2 packs of 34/70 and 1/2 with 2124. I fermented them side by side at 49F. When trying them side by side there are maybe some very subtle differences but I’m not certain I could tell them apart if I wasn’t specifically trying to pick them out. Even then I didn’t prefer one over the other. Only difference I did notice is 2124 seemed to drop clear a fair bit easier.[/quote]

Good to know, thanks for sharing! The 34/70, given enough time, drops nice and clear. And most of those issues could be solved with finings also. Dry yeast is most definitely easier to work with and get a high enough pitch count.

I’d agree, after lagering a month both were plenty clear, the 2124 just got there quicker and I didn’t use anything other the whirlfloc on either of them. After trying it out I’d have no reservations about using 34/70 and there is no doubt dry yeast is quicker and easier.

I’d agree, after lagering a month both were plenty clear, the 2124 just got there quicker and I didn’t use anything other the whirlfloc on either of them. After trying it out I’d have no reservations about using 34/70 and there is no doubt dry yeast is quicker and easier.[/quote]
Most definitely. I’m not a fan of making step up starters for lagers. I only want to have to make it once and in small volumes…I should get a stir plate, really.
But yeah, dry is way easier to work with, easier to get the right pitching rate. I like to over pitch slightly for lagers since I try to start them out colder than my planned ferm temp. I want to try going low on my next one, try and push it down to 46F perhaps. Although, I don’t know that that would improve the beer any over fermenting at 50F.

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]S-23 is a steam beer yeast, not intended for true lagers fermented at cool ~50 F temperatures.

First time I’ve read that. Has anyone out there actually brewed a steam beer with it
Yes it is, I’ve used it once so far and will use it again.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com