Saflager 34/70... slow starter? Plus, what is that?

I’m using Saflager’s 34/70 for the first time in a Helles, and I pitched two fresh packs in 1.047 OG wort last night (~6pm). It’s just over 24 hours later, and the airlock is moving… very slowly.

Plus, the top of the fermenting beer has (what looks like) rehydrated yeast - kind of spongy and just floating there (picture attached).

Is this yeast a slow starter? Also, any idea about the schmutz floating there? If it is yeast, is it going to do anything?

And no, I didn’t rehydrate the yeast… I did a direct pitch. :wink:

Thanks in advance…

[attachment=0]photo.JPG[/attachment]

I can’t comment on that particular strain, but in general it’s not a bad thing to have a longer lag period. From what I understand, the yeast are actively reproducing during the lag phase, and then they’ll begin truly fermenting the beer once the oxygen is gone. So a bit of a longer lag probably means that your yeast was building up a big army and are now getting down to serious business.

I brewed a Helles a few weeks ago, and it was a bit of a slow fermenter too. I think that’s just the nature of lager brewing (but don’t quote me on that - i have 3 lagers under my belt).

As for your floating garbage whorl, I think it’s mostly cold break and other trub that captured some CO2 and took a ride to the top. It will probably start getting mixed back in when your fermentation cranks up, and it should settle right out when you cold crash. No worries. You probably ended up with a lot more break material from all the pilsner malt in your Helles.

No worries! Just watch that temp.

Looks normal. I’ve used 34/70 3x now and have noticed a 24-36 hr lag time. Keep the ferm temps under 55 and you’ll have a tasty lager. :cheers:

I just used this yeast for a few brews. A little extra time does not surprise me. I also found it needed a little extra time to clean itself up in the conditioning phase. A few extra weeks of cold aging did wonders. Ended up with very clean beer.

This yeast flocs nicely with a little cold conditioning. Way faster than WY2124 I’ve found, even though they are supposedly the same strain.

From what I have heard (I think from Denny) these two yeasts - though from the same strain - do show noticable differences.

And yes, my blonde which used 34/70, became crystal clear with a week or two in my keg cooler. Very nice.

[quote=“larsenj”]I’m using Saflager’s 34/70 for the first time in a Helles, and I pitched two fresh packs in 1.047 OG wort last night (~6pm). It’s just over 24 hours later, and the airlock is moving… very slowly.
Plus, the top of the fermenting beer has (what looks like) rehydrated yeast - kind of spongy and just floating there (picture attached).
Is this yeast a slow starter? Also, any idea about the schmutz floating there? If it is yeast, is it going to do anything?
And no, I didn’t rehydrate the yeast… I did a direct pitch. :wink:
Thanks in advance…
[/quote]

I used one pack in a three gallon beer @ 1.050 last year. It was going slowly the next day, 18-20 hours after pitching. Since the temperature was in the low 50s I was happy. What temperature is yours at?
The instructions call for just tossing the yeast in so you did good. I’m going to do a German pilsner next month with 34/70 and plan to sprinkle the yeast in as the manufacturer says to.

[quote=“Rookie L A”]
I used one pack in a three gallon beer @ 1.050 last year. It was going slowly the next day, 18-20 hours after pitching. Since the temperature was in the low 50s I was happy. What temperature is yours at?
The instructions call for just tossing the yeast in so you did good. I’m going to do a German pilsner next month with 34/70 and plan to sprinkle the yeast in as the manufacturer says to.[/quote]

I pitched at 48-50F, and it’s held steady ever since.

It’s fermenting nicely now… It probably did take about 36 hrs. Now the waiting part… :cheers:

[quote=“larsenj”][quote=“Rookie L A”]
The instructions call for just tossing the yeast in so you did good. I’m going to do a German pilsner next month with 34/70 and plan to sprinkle the yeast in as the manufacturer says to.[/quote]

I pitched at 48-50F, and it’s held steady ever since.

It’s fermenting nicely now… It probably did take about 36 hrs. Now the waiting part… :cheers: [/quote]

Good. :smiley: