Safbrew T-58 / S-33

I have never used either of these strains, but am just looking into whether I would ever find need for them. Reviews and recomendations all over the board for both.

What I get so far:

T-58 - has some specific flavor characteristics (spice). Used for many Belgian Ales / some other higher gravity styles. Works well for bottle contitioning.

S-33 - more neutral in flavor. Has good alcohol tollerance. Some use it for belgians - including witbeers etc / some use it more for bigger Englih Ales like porters etc. Edme strain.

Other than that I see a lot of comments that are all over the place. So how exactly have you guys used these yeasts and what were your impressions?

Nothing belgian about s-33.
I like it for low gravity bitters. Only mild esters.
Flocculates slowly. Ferments very fast. It’s Edme ale yeast in a yellow packet.

[quote=“simple”]Nothing belgian about s-33.
I like it for low gravity bitters. Only mild esters.
Flocculates slowly. Ferments very fast. It’s Edme ale yeast in a yellow packet.[/quote]

This is the impression I got originally. But I have seen some reviews etc. that mention it for Belgians and witbiers. Did not make too much sense. Thanks for the clarification.

I used T-58 in an experiment to see what flavor yeast brings to beer. This one definitely has the spicy Belgian character, lots of phenolics and all that stuff.

My problem was that I started with an American Amber recipe that was on the bitter side, and then the spiciness of the yeast really piled on top of the bitterness and/or fought with it. Sort of makes sense then that an American Amber would use the clean yeast and leave the hops to bring all the flavor.