Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Safbrew T-58 / S-33

I have never used either of these strains, but am just looking into whether I would ever find need for them. Reviews and recomendations all over the board for both.

What I get so far:

T-58 - has some specific flavor characteristics (spice). Used for many Belgian Ales / some other higher gravity styles. Works well for bottle contitioning.

S-33 - more neutral in flavor. Has good alcohol tollerance. Some use it for belgians - including witbeers etc / some use it more for bigger Englih Ales like porters etc. Edme strain.

Other than that I see a lot of comments that are all over the place. So how exactly have you guys used these yeasts and what were your impressions?

Nothing belgian about s-33.
I like it for low gravity bitters. Only mild esters.
Flocculates slowly. Ferments very fast. It’s Edme ale yeast in a yellow packet.

[quote=“simple”]Nothing belgian about s-33.
I like it for low gravity bitters. Only mild esters.
Flocculates slowly. Ferments very fast. It’s Edme ale yeast in a yellow packet.[/quote]

This is the impression I got originally. But I have seen some reviews etc. that mention it for Belgians and witbiers. Did not make too much sense. Thanks for the clarification.

I used T-58 in an experiment to see what flavor yeast brings to beer. This one definitely has the spicy Belgian character, lots of phenolics and all that stuff.

My problem was that I started with an American Amber recipe that was on the bitter side, and then the spiciness of the yeast really piled on top of the bitterness and/or fought with it. Sort of makes sense then that an American Amber would use the clean yeast and leave the hops to bring all the flavor.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com