Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Saaz Variety

I have had this in the ground for five years and have yet to get a good harvest. I t comes up every year and the roots are well established but the flower growth is not as good as I would like I am in southern Minnesota. anybody having success with the saaz. if so what kind of growing season and how much water etc…

They’re notoriously poor growers as most landrace varieties are, even where they originated. I saw a trial at Oregon State which included many Saazer-types and none were even close to the wire at the end of July. I asked the breeder if they were a new planting and he told me that they’d been in place for some years, just not vigorous at all.

I would yank it and find one of the newer varieties bred to be a replacement/substitute for Saaz.

[quote=“B-Hoppy”]They’re notoriously poor growers as most landrace varieties are, even where they originated. I saw a trial at Oregon State which included many Saazer-types and none were even close to the wire at the end of July. I asked the breeder if they were a new planting and he told me that they’d been in place for some years, just not vigorous at all.

I would yank it and find one of the newer varieties bred to be a replacement/substitute for Saaz.[/quote]

Sterlings are good growers and are bred from saaz. I was very happy with the Czech pilsner I used them in.

[quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“B-Hoppy”]They’re notoriously poor growers as most landrace varieties are, even where they originated. I saw a trial at Oregon State which included many Saazer-types and none were even close to the wire at the end of July. I asked the breeder if they were a new planting and he told me that they’d been in place for some years, just not vigorous at all.

I would yank it and find one of the newer varieties bred to be a replacement/substitute for Saaz.[/quote]

Sterlings are good growers and are bred from saaz. I was very happy with the Czech pilsner I used them in.[/quote]

Ultra has some Saaz parentage as well, and is reputably an excellent grower. I frequently use it in continental styles where I’d use Saaz or Tettnang.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com