Rye IPA Thoughts on recipe

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/rye-so-serious

Please take a look. I appreciate any thoughts/rips/helps!

honestly, it looks pretty @#$ing rock-solid to me!

My first thought was that it needed more varietals of hops, but in homebrewing, simple usually equals ‘better’…I like how you dry hop with what you used in the kettle to bring out more of their character. Also, I will be curious to know how the smokiness/earthiness of the chinook pairs up with the spice of the rye. PM me when this is brewed and in the keg/bottle if you remember, I was literally thinking to myself this morning, I need to brew another rye!

Grist bill looks very similar to mine. I’d use domestic pale malt rather than MO. For my tastes, rye doesn’t pair well with a lot of maltiness. That’s why I don’t care for rye and Munich together. Also, I’ve never thought much of Horizon as an aroma hop. Great for bittering, but doesn’t do much for me for aroma.

Looks good to me. I’m sure it’s going to come out tasty.

I just had some Maris Otter… Thanks for the tip. I do like the hoppy flavor of Horizon could I perhaps the latest additions could be exchanged with centennial? I have some access to fresh centennial. thoughts?

[quote=“Pietro”]honestly, it looks pretty @#$ing rock-solid to me!

My first thought was that it needed more varietals of hops, but in homebrewing, simple usually equals ‘better’…I like how you dry hop with what you used in the kettle to bring out more of their character. Also, I will be curious to know how the smokiness/earthiness of the chinook pairs up with the spice of the rye. PM me when this is brewed and in the keg/bottle if you remember, I was literally thinking to myself this morning, I need to brew another rye![/quote]
I typically try to do the dryhop the same. The couple of times I havent… Its been a little odd. I try to choose hops that appeal to me smell and flavor wise. And dry hopping with those just make it more awesome for me every time. Id say simcoe, horizon, chinook and EKG are simply awesome. Im soon doing a Big Burton/Barleywine using EKG and Northdown. Never used Northdown. But from what I have read the resiny flavors work really well.

I just had some Maris Otter… Thanks for the tip. I do like the hoppy flavor of Horizon could I perhaps the latest additions could be exchanged with centennial? I have some access to fresh centennial. thoughts?[/quote]

At this point, I would take stale centennial! (all my LHBS has is Hopunion’s “Centennial Type” (blend of CTZ, cascade, and simcoe I think)Fresh centennial??? buy, buy, buy!!!

I just had some Maris Otter… Thanks for the tip. I do like the hoppy flavor of Horizon could I perhaps the latest additions could be exchanged with centennial? I have some access to fresh centennial. thoughts?[/quote]

At this point, I would take stale centennial! (all my LHBS has is Hopunion’s “Centennial Type” (blend of CTZ, cascade, and simcoe I think)Fresh centennial??? buy, buy, buy!!![/quote]
Would you like a link to a hookup? PM me

I think that’s a great idea!

I think that’s a great idea![/quote]
Thanks Denny for the tips! I did use your favorite yeast :wink: