Rye Extract

I brewed my last batch of beer in 1995 (wild grape flavored wheat beer) and as soon as my wife and I get the house we bought remodeled I am going to be free of the apartment restrictions I have had for the last 20 years in New York and start brewing again, with extract.

So 20 years ago there were no Rye extracts and I do not think I have ever had a rye beer and I am curious.

What would be a good recipe that would emphasize the rye so I can experiment?

What sort of things would cover up the rye that I should avoid?

What is a commercial beer with rye I should seek out to try to get some ideas?

Thanks

I recommend this one:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/amer ... xtract-kit

Its out of stock right now, but you could just copy the recipe and buy the ingredients a la carte. If you want to get the flavor of the rye without any background fruitiness or other flavors, I would recommend using 1056 for yeast and a more neutral late hop than the cascade they use in the kit, as the cascade will give a citrusy (grapefruit IMO) flavor.

Another option would be to use three pounds of rye extract and three pounds of light extract for a little less rye flavor. Just depends on what you’re looking for. In any case, good luck with your venture. :cheers:

Edit: OOPS!! I see now you’re asking about a commercial rye beer to try out. I’ll have to think about it now… :oops:

Second edit: here’s a quick list I came up with…

1. LowRyeDer - Sweetwater Brewing - Georgia
  2. Rastafa Rye - Blue Point Brewing - New York
  3. Lazy Magnolia Brewing - Mississippi
  4. Rye Smile - Triple Rock Brewery - California
  5. Founders Red’s Rye PA - Founders Brewing Company - Michigan
  6. Sixpoint Righteous Ale - Sixpoint Craft Ales - New York
  7. Rye P.A. Hatter - New Holland Brewing - Michigan
  8. Rugbrød - The Bruery - California
  9. Cane & Ebel - Two Brothers Brewing - Illinois
  10. Rye-on-Rye - Boulevard Brewing - Missouri

hope this helps a bit.

[quote=“65SS427”]I recommend this one:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/amer ... xtract-kit

Its out of stock right now, but you could just copy the recipe and buy the ingredients a la carte. If you want to get the flavor of the rye without any background fruitiness or other flavors, I would recommend using 1056 for yeast and a more neutral late hop than the cascade they use in the kit, as the cascade will give a citrusy (grapefruit IMO) flavor.

Another option would be to use three pounds of rye extract and three pounds of light extract for a little less rye flavor. Just depends on what you’re looking for. In any case, good luck with your venture. :cheers:

Edit: OOPS!! I see now you’re asking about a commercial rye beer to try out. I’ll have to think about it now… :oops:

Second edit: here’s a quick list I came up with…

1. LowRyeDer - Sweetwater Brewing - Georgia
  2. Rastafa Rye - Blue Point Brewing - New York
  3. Lazy Magnolia Brewing - Mississippi
  4. Rye Smile - Triple Rock Brewery - California
  5. Founders Red’s Rye PA - Founders Brewing Company - Michigan
  6. Sixpoint Righteous Ale - Sixpoint Craft Ales - New York
  7. Rye P.A. Hatter - New Holland Brewing - Michigan
  8. Rugbrød - The Bruery - California
  9. Cane & Ebel - Two Brothers Brewing - Illinois
  10. Rye-on-Rye - Boulevard Brewing - Missouri

hope this helps a bit.[/quote]

I have had Sixpoint Righteous and had no idea it was rye so I am going to have to sample that again.

Thanks for the tips and the list.

Sierra Nevada has the ruthless rye as well.

Good catch!! I didn’t even think of it for some reason. :cheers:

I’m not sure anything can really cover up the effects rye has on a beer except maybe a lot of hops, although some brewers make RyePA’s. I really liked the 2 beers I’ve made with rye so far. I made a Rye Porter a few years ago and NB’s Rye Stout this year. If I can fully discern the taste and mouth feel that rye added to these dark beers, I think you can pretty much realize its effects in any beer, IMO.

I use 10-15% rye in my rye IPA. I was inspired by ruthless rye. Never brewed with straight rye though but I put a touch in a lot of beers. I think Amarillo hops is good with rye.

Any kind of black patent you used? Porter is always on my list anyway and a Rye one might kill two birds with one keg.

Any kind of black patent you used? Porter is always on my list anyway and a Rye one might kill two birds with one keg.[/quote]

No black patent used in this Porter. This was a martial mash that I will probably do all grain next time: 6.6lb Rye LME
1lb Crystal 60L
1lb Pale Ale
1lb Pale Chocolate
1lb Melanoidin
0.25 Belgian Chocolate

Not sure if you could just add some Pale DME and steep the specialty grains if you're thinking of just staying with extract.  Somebody else whose smarter than me hopefully can answer that question.

1oz Cluster (45min)  Will probably use Nugget or Warrior at same AA% as I don't care for Cluster.  NB uses Warrior in their Rye Stout, and that is one smooth bittering hop!
      0.5oz German Perle (25min)
      0.5oz Glacier (25min)
      0.5oz German Perle (5min)
      0.5oz Glacier (5min)

I was trying to go for a Yazoo Rye Porter Clone. I had this beer while in Nashville and loved it. I’m not sure if I was close, but this came out really good.

I just tried Harpoon’s Rye. Its quite good and I can sense a refreshing side of the rye addition so I think I am going to try for some kind of “yardwork rye” for next summer.

The goal with be:

extract , probably 6 lbs mailard malts 20% rye extract.
5 gallons
less than 5.5% ABV

Now, what to add or not add to make it “refreshing” ?