Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Rye beer?

I am looking to brew a rye beer, but I don’t want a real “Hoppy” ryePA or anything like that. Looking for something that would be amber, and subtle spicy, - I guess I am kind of thinking something reminiscent of sam adams boston stock ale, or perhaps goose island honkers. Not trying to clone them or anything, but that is sort of what I am shooting for. Any ideas or recipes that people have used for rye?

+1 on the boston ale. If anyone knows a kit that is similar to that let me know.

Try this, with rye malt instead of wheat. This is one of my proudest recipes. It doesn’t have a lot of hops, and with the German-style hops, it will be a bit spicy. I use homegrowns for mine, and it turns out really nice.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=77133&p=722621&hilit=honey+wheat#p722621

I’m going to start working on something with 2-row pale, about 15% rye, and a touch of golden naked oats and ferment it with the French saison yeast. Haven’t decided what I’m going to use for hops yet.

edit: actually the golden naked oats is probably a bad idea in this so maybe a touch of honey instead.

And if you want to go Belgian style, I found & modified a Rye Saison recipe (below). Really turned out to be one of my favorite kegs, all gone now. :cry:

Recipe Gravity: 1.062 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 31 IBU
Recipe Color: 10° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.015
Alcohol by Volume: 6.0%
Alcohol by Weight: 4.7%

Acidulated malt 0.25 lb, Grain, Mashed
Cane sugar 0.50 lb, Sugar, Other
Carafoam 0.50 lb, Grain, Mashed
Maris Otter Malt 9.00 lb, Grain, Mashed
Rye malt 2.00 lb, Grain, Mashed

Saaz 1.00 oz, Pellet, 20 minutes
Willamette 1.00 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Willamette 1.00 oz, Pellet, 10 minutes

Saaz FWH as 20 min addition
WLP530

Mike was the acidulated malt to adjust your mash pH or was it to sour the beer a bit? If it was for souring, how do you think it worked out for you? Would you go more or less in the future?

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com