Rogue Dead Guy Ale Clone

Got the recipe out of Zymurgy. OG 1.065

Had a really relaxing brewday, no rush, and it was a beautiful day here in SoCal.

Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil volume: 6.5 gal
OG: 1.066
FG: 1.016
Bitterness (IBU): 45.3
Color (SRM): 7.4
ABV: 6.5%

Grain/Sugars:

10.00 lb Two-row (US), 71.4%
3.00 lb Munich (German), 21.4%
0.50 lb Crystal 10L, 3.6%
0.50 lb Crystal 20L, 3.6%

Hops:

1.75 oz Perle (AA 8.3%, Pellet) 60 min, 43.4 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz (AA 3.5%, Pellet) 10 min, 1.9 IBU

FWIW, Rogue now uses Sterling in place of Saaz. The rest of the recipe is pretty close.

Thanks denny, never brewed it before, but it’s just a solid good brew.

Thanks denny, never brewed it before, but it’s just a solid good brew.[/quote]

I put the real recipe, direct from John Maier, in the “Craft Beer for the Homebrewer” book. FWIW, the Hazelnut Brown recipe is in there, too.

Which yeast did you use? I saw that you can get the Wyeast 1764 “Pacman” strain that Rouge uses for Dead Guy.

I’d also love to know what their water profile is. They state “Free Range Coastal Water”, but I could never find the source to replicate.

Dead Guy is one of my favorite beers out there.

[quote=“andymag”]Which yeast did you use? I saw that you can get the Wyeast 1764 “Pacman” strain that Rouge uses for Dead Guy.

I’d also love to know what their water profile is. They state “Free Range Coastal Water”, but I could never find the source to replicate.

Dead Guy is one of my favorite beers out there.[/quote]

IIRC it’s pretty soft water and they add some sulfates. Don’t know how much for this particular beer, though. I’ll try to remember to ask.

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“andymag”]Which yeast did you use? I saw that you can get the Wyeast 1764 “Pacman” strain that Rouge uses for Dead Guy.

Dead Guy is one of my favorite beers out there.[/quote]

IIRC it’s pretty soft water and they add some sulfates. Don’t know how much for this particular beer, though. I’ll try to remember to ask.[/quote]

Id Say just go scoop some water out of the russian river and your good to go right? :lol: