Road Trip to Northern Brewer - Where else to visit?

[quote=“Turkeygecko”][quote=“GarretD”]A. Bring me some zombie dust ! I have never had it and everyone says it’s so great. :slight_smile:

Now on to a few place for you to look into.

Steel Toe Brewing - St Louis Park
Indeed Brewing - Mpls
Happy Gnome for food and beer
Muddy Pig for food and beer
Four Firkens beer store - Right by Steel Toe in SLP
Ale Jail beer store - St Paul[/quote]

These are very good suggestions here. I would add Dangerous Man and Townhall to the list.[/quote]

Republic is right across the street from Townhall. Not a huge beer selection but plenty of locals on tap.

Yeah we kind of hammered out some of the ‘main’ stops yesterday (mostly just getting down which cities we’ll be in which days). We still are working on which breweries to go to while in Minneapolis.

We’ve decided to skip New Glarus as I’ve been there before and my other buddy is going in April.

Looking like roughly we’ll be doing:
Friday:
FFF
Hopvine Brewing Company
(brewery in Madison, WI for dinner - Undecided where yet)
Drive to and sleep in Minneapolis (or close to depending on time)
Saturday: (no particular order yet… have to check on hours of operation etc…)
Northern Brewer
Surly

Undecided upon breweries for Sat night and Sunday morning/early afternoon
{
Dangerous Man
Lift Bridge Brewing Company
Boom Island Brewing Company
Steel Toe Brewing
Indeed Brewing Company and Taproom
Town Hall Brewery
Bent Brewstillery
Bang Brewing
}
Other non-brewery options (since the breweries in your neck of the woods seem to have weird hours lol - same timefram as above)
{
The Happy Gnome
The Muddy Pig
The Four Firkins
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
The Salty Tart
Left-Handed cook
Butcher and the Boar
}
Sunday (early afternoon):
Make our way to Milwaukee, WI
undetermined locations here…
Monday:
Drop one buddy off at airport in WI
Drive home - Stopping at Siciliano’s in Grand Rapids, MI to drop off another competition entry.
Get home… Go to St. Patty’s Day party… lol

So as you can see it’s a pretty rough schedule right now… lots to still be decided.

I just wept.

I am kind of over brewery tours, but this is one I want to travel to do. And load the car up with as many cases as I could fit, particularly of their wild ales.

[quote=“Pietro”][quote=“mors”]

We’ve decided to skip New Glarus

[/quote]

I just wept.

I am kind of over brewery tours, but this is one I want to travel to do. And load the car up with as many cases as I could fit, particularly of their wild ales.[/quote]
I was unimpressed when I went. There is no tasting room. You get very limited samples. They have a poor selection of their own beers. We went to just a regular bar afterwards to get some food when I went and the bar had more New Glarus beers than New Glarus did. Same with beer stores… New Glarus had a very limited selection available for purchase.

It’s a cool little spot… but really just a big tourist trap more than anything else.

[quote=“mors”][quote=“Pietro”][quote=“mors”]

We’ve decided to skip New Glarus

[/quote]

I just wept.

I am kind of over brewery tours, but this is one I want to travel to do. And load the car up with as many cases as I could fit, particularly of their wild ales.[/quote]
I was unimpressed when I went. There is no tasting room. You get very limited samples. They have a poor selection of their own beers. We went to just a regular bar afterwards to get some food when I went and the bar had more New Glarus beers than New Glarus did. Same with beer stores… New Glarus had a very limited selection available for purchase.

It’s a cool little spot… but really just a big tourist trap more than anything else.[/quote]

Wow, thats great to know! I can check that one off the list without even going. Russian River here I come :cheers:

If you are going through Milwaukee, I recommend a tour at Lakefront Brewing Co. If you want a culinary adventure, go the Old World 3rd St. You can get some great wurst at Maders, which is made across the street at Usingers. A few doors down is the Spice House. They are one of the finest sources of spices in the country, including many brewing spices. Finally, Colectivo coffee has some house brewed beer on tap at a few of their cafés.

Yeah I think Lakefront is a leader of places to goto while in Milwaukee… We’re actually having some trouble with the milwaukee breweries because most of them are not open on Sunday :-/

Thankfully Lakefront IS open on Sunday… and it’s one of the few I have actually heard of before.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I’ll add them to our Milwaukee list. As it stands now this is our list with possibilities listed lol.

Friday:
FFF
Hopvine Brewing Company
(brewery in Madison, WI for dinner - Undecided where yet){
Ale Asylum
Great Dane Brew Pub
}
Drive to and sleep in Minneapolis (or close to depending on time)
Saturday: (no particular order yet… have to check on hours of operation etc…)
Northern Brewer
Surly
Undecided upon breweries for Sat night and Sunday morning/early afternoon
{
Dangerous Man
Lift Bridge Brewing Company
Boom Island Brewing Company
Steel Toe Brewing
Indeed Brewing Company and Taproom
Town Hall Brewery
Bent Brewstillery
Bang Brewing
Northbound Smokehouse & Brewpub
}
Other non-brewery options (since the breweries in your neck of the woods seem to have weird hours lol - same timefram as above)
{
The Happy Gnome
The Muddy Pig
The Four Firkins
The Salty Tart
Left-Handed cook
Butcher and the Boar
}
Sunday (early afternoon):
Make our way to Milwaukee, WI
Milwaukee breweries{
MillerCoors
Lagniapee Brasserie
Biloba Brewing
Lakefront Brewery
Big Bay Brewing
Stonefly Brewing
Milwaukee Brewing Company
Horny Goat Hideaway
Saint Francic Brewery and Restaurant
}

It looks like you need a brewery in Madison. Check out Capital Brewing Co. http://www.capital-brewery.com/

I love the Old Fashioned in Madison. Not a brewery, but they have 50+ taps of Wisconsin beers. The wait on Fridays can be brutal, though.

I forgot to mention that Lakefront has an amazing fish fry and polka party on Friday nights. If you can be there, do it!!

:cheers:

Hmm… So would you do Capital Brewing over Ale Asylum in Madison?

Sadly we won’t be near Lakefront until Sunday… but we’re def going to go there.

Barley John’s in New Brighton, MN is very good.

Cool. Thanks added to the list.

[quote=“mors”]Hmm… So would you do Capital Brewing over Ale Asylum in Madison?

Sadly we won’t be near Lakefront until Sunday… but we’re def going to go there.[/quote]

Personally, I would go to Ale Asylum. I haven’t been there, but their beer is way better.

That’s kind of where we were planning on stopping. We only have time to stop and one place as we’re just stopping for dinner and samples on our way through to Minneapolis. I just figured since it was suggested I would hear the arguments :wink:

The Ale Asylum is in a brand new brewery

You might want to check out Fulton Brewery in Minneapolis.

http://fultonbeer.com/index.php

[quote=“Andy72”]You might want to check out Fulton Brewery in Minneapolis.

http://fultonbeer.com/index.php[/quote]

Thanks I’ll add it to our list for sure.

It’d be worth it to hit Greenbush in Sawyer, MI on the way to or from. It’s about two blocks East of exit 12 on I-94…just before you hit IN. Really solid beers, and a huge selection in the tap room.

Yeah we’ve been to Greenbush many times. Though I think they expanded the taproom since the last time i’ve been there.