Road Trip to Northern Brewer - Where else to visit?

Hey all,

I’m looking forward to my first visit to the retail store in Minneapolis this coming March. A few buddies and I will be taking a road trip to drop off our NHC entries. Any specific breweries/beer related things we should do while we are in town? We’ll be driving from the Detroit Metro area through Chicago and up. Right now our plans are just Three Floyds, New Glarus, and Surly. Need more stops for the MN end of our trip :smiley:

Thanks.

A. Bring me some zombie dust ! I have never had it and everyone says it’s so great. :slight_smile:

Now on to a few place for you to look into.

Steel Toe Brewing - St Louis Park
Indeed Brewing - Mpls
Happy Gnome for food and beer
Muddy Pig for food and beer
Four Firkens beer store - Right by Steel Toe in SLP
Ale Jail beer store - St Paul

612’s tap room is great!

Hit Revolution’s Brewery and Taproom in Chicago. It’s right off the expressway.

Oh yeah I get to Chicago pretty often. Love Revolution. We’ll be just driving through Chicago on this trip though. I’ll be sure to check out those other places though. Thanks!

The Salty Tart in the Municipal Market for custard-filled Brioche doughnuts. They are insane. Also hit The Left-Handed cook in there for some Mongolian BBQ if you are adventurous with food. I thought it was awesome.

Butcher and the Boar is another great spot. House-made sausage is ridiculous, and they do a sweet corn semifreddo/ice cream that is equally/more ridiculous. Great beer selection in there as well.

Find somewhere to get a Jucy Lucy burger as well. Lot of spots in town.

hmm we are mild ‘foodies’ so we might have to check out a couple of those. Thanks.

For good brew and good food, check out Northbound ( http://www.northboundbrewpub.com). Their Big Jim is one of the best IPAs I’ve had in town and the food is bar food but good quality. Same can be said for the Town Hall brewpub.

Will check them out. Thanks!

[quote=“GarretD”]A. Bring me some zombie dust ! I have never had it and everyone says it’s so great. :slight_smile:

Now on to a few place for you to look into.

Steel Toe Brewing - St Louis Park
Indeed Brewing - Mpls
Happy Gnome for food and beer
Muddy Pig for food and beer
Four Firkens beer store - Right by Steel Toe in SLP
Ale Jail beer store - St Paul[/quote]

These are very good suggestions here. I would add Dangerous Man and Townhall to the list.

Thanks. You guys are going to give my fingers quite the exercise while researching :wink:

If any of you are Belgian Ale fans, I’d recommend Boom Island Brewery – it just opened a taproom and the brewer learned his trade in Belgium. It’s a small place, but nice to see another side from the “mega” brewers.

This place

or this place

The former has a brewer with some cred in Kristen England and is interesting in that it’s the only brewery/distillery I am aware of in these parts.

The later is tucked down by the tracks in a grain bin style building. Charmingly lonesome, yet cozy and a great place to chat up the locals.

Awesome guys. I’ll add them to the list… Quite a few choices for 2 days lol.

As you an tell, the twin cities craft brew scene has flourished lately. I don’t think the proliferation is near complete yet either! All these places are packed 7 days a week. Especially Dangerous Man, in my experience. If you want to make it there, I would recommend going early (before 5). Will you post your trip itinerary once you lock it in?

I’ve heard good things about this place. Looks like its hard to find a beer below 7% though.

Sure thing. We’ll be discussing it this week.

I can’t believe nobody mentioned Surly!

Lift Bridge in Stillwater, MN is also a good choice:

http://liftbridgebrewery.com/#brewery/tap-room

[quote=“Ken in MN”]I can’t believe nobody mentioned Surly!

[/quote]

Read original post….Surly was already in there :wink:

[quote=“Ken in MN”]I can’t believe nobody mentioned Surly!

[/quote]
haha yeah Surly is #1 on my list as of the ‘main’ places we’re going it’s the only one I have not been to.