Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Ringwood Ale 1187

Hey everyone,

I brewed a milk stout on Saturday morning. OG 1.062. Cooled to 67 degrees and pitched a 1200 ml starter using Ringwood Ale yeast. I believe I sufficiently aerated as well. I’m not seeing even a hint of krausen or airlock activity (yes, I know airlocks don’t necessarily indicate a stuck fermentation). I know that this yeast can be notoriously slow to start, I just didn’t expect it to take this long. I made this same recipe 6 months ago and didn’t run into the same issue.

Any advice?

Thanks

Wyeast says [quote]This strain can be a slow starter and fermenter[/quote] So I would just give it some time. I also become concerned when there is no activity even early on since that is a critical time when infections can happen but other than giving your fermenter a swirl to put the yeast back into suspension there isn’t a lot you can do. 67 is right in the temp range so I would not warm it up.

I really have nothing to say good about this yeast at all. Slow start, needs a drest. Way TOO much mineral flavors for my likely.

i will not be using it again. But best of luck.

For whats its worth - and for anyone else using this yeast: I went home on my lunch break and found a nice layer of krausen forming. This is a full 36 hours after pitching the yeast.

Brewing beer is truly an exercise in patience.

[quote=“micahkoll”]For whats its worth - and for anyone else using this yeast: I went home on my lunch break and found a nice layer of krausen forming. This is a full 36 hours after pitching the yeast.

Brewing beer is truly an exercise in patience.[/quote]

Though I can’t speak to that particular yeast, I’ve gone over two days on a few batches without any noticeable signs of fermentation.

I figure I might as well just wait it out anyways. In the end, beer will be made and not on my schedule! :cheers:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com