Rice Hulls

Hello Everyone,

I’ve just started reading Gordon Strong’s book, “Brewing Better Beer”, in which he mentions using rice hulls in the mash to help even out temperatures in the mash tun. I was wondering if anyone here uses this technique and if there is a formula for determining the proper amount of hulls to add. This may be addressed later in the book, but if so, I’m not there yet!

I haven’t found it necessary. I just keep stirring until the temps are even.

Thanks, Denny. The idea that uneven mash temperatures could be a problem was new to me. Not noticing a problem with it in my own brewing, I’ll likely keep the rice hull technique filed away in case I need to make use of it in the future.

[quote=“Dan S”]Hello Everyone,

I’ve just started reading Gordon Strong’s book, “Brewing Better Beer”, in which he mentions using rice hulls in the mash to help even out temperatures in the mash tun. [/quote]

What are the physics and thermodynamic explanation behind this because it sounds like a crock to me. Like Denny said, just stir well and keep an eye on your thermometer. It’s not that difficult to get a homebrew mash to about a 1F degree differential. How a bag of rice hulls would improve upon that escapes my feeble mind. :cheers:

[quote=“BryanH”][quote=“Dan S”]Hello Everyone,

I’ve just started reading Gordon Strong’s book, “Brewing Better Beer”, in which he mentions using rice hulls in the mash to help even out temperatures in the mash tun. [/quote]

What are the physics and thermodynamic explanation behind this because it sounds like a crock to me. Like Denny said, just stir well and keep an eye on your thermometer. It’s not that difficult to get a homebrew mash to about a 1F degree differential. How a bag of rice hulls would improve upon that escapes my feeble mind. :cheers: [/quote]
No explanation was offered, at least at this point in the book, only the recommendation. I’ll be sure to post back if anything turns up…