Rice cereal mash with Extract

How would I do a cereal mash with raw rice and add it to a an extract brew?

I think you would need to mash it with some highly modified 2 row or 6 row malt to get anything meaningful out of the rice. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will ring in on this…

I guess what I am really asking is:

After I do I cereal mash with 1 lb or Rice and 1/4 lb of 6-row,

How do I get that mash into my pot to boil with my extract?

Do I put the mash into a nylon bag and let it set in there for a period of time and then throw away?
What do I do with the mash? How do I use it with my extract?

This seems like a good time to start playing with a BIAB partial mash.

A cereal mash is used to hydrolyze the starches for some grains which have a high hydrolyzation temperature, like rice and corn. Hydrolyzation needs to be done before the enzymes can convert the starches to sugars. But you need a regular mash for the sugar conversion, so you can’t just do a cereal mash.

Consider using rice syrup instead. That’s what I did the time I wanted to add a rice adjunct back before I got into AG. It came out great.

If I did a boil in a bag, would I just scoop the cereal mash slop (rice and 6-row) into a nylon bag, add some more grains and mash it?

1.) Boil the rice for 30min-1hr. to gelatinize the starches. (Stir, stir, stir…)
a.) After boiling refill and maintain no more than 2-3qts per pound water to solids ratio.
2.) Cool the boiled rice to 145F (add cold water to replace boil-off), add 0.5lb of crushed six-row malt, maintain 145F for 15min. (Stir, stir, stir…)
3.) Raise the temperature to 170F, hold for 30min. (Stir, stir, stir…)
4.) Raise the mash to boil for 15min. (Stir, stir, stir…)
5.) Remove from heat. You should have a very sweet and sticky wort.
6.) Pour this mixture into the main boil pot, straining through a BIAB bag, or a fine mesh strainer.
7.) Squeeze the BIAB or press the strainer. Sparge with several quarts of 170F water, stir the sparge water in as necessary and squeeze or press.

This is great directions. Thanks. This makes sense and I will try it.

You can also steam your rice. Rinse it, soak it over night, then steam it. The soaking does make a difference – the rice will absorb some of the water and cook more thoroughly.

Steaming is a bit more work. But if you steam a large batch, use what you need, and freeze the rest for later use, you can cut down the net effort. If you do a good job rinsing, the steamed rice, once cooled, is easy to work with – it won’t be very sticky at all.

When I steam rice, I just drop my false bottom into a seafood steamer and lay the soaked rice on top. I steam about 8 lbs (dry weight) of rice per batch. I tried doing more, but it takes too long … the steam just doesn’t move through the rice very efficiently. You’ll still need to “turn” the rice every 20 minutes or so. For freezing, I use one gallon ziplock bags.