Reusing yeast after the crash

I’ve got a primary coldcrashing and planned to keg it this weekend. I might brew this weekend too and could use the same yeast. I was going to collect, wash and save some of the cake but wanted to pour my newly brewed batch on top of the rest of the cake.

Do I need to slowly bring the cold yeast cake up to pitching temp before pouring my new work on top? Would there be an issue with pouring 62F wort on top of yeast which has been at 35F?

As always,
Thanks

I always pitch cold yeast into warmer wort. There’s some evidence that it’s better to do it that way than warm it up. At any rate, it works great for me.

Not all that long ago I pitched a pack of S-04 straight from the fridge at 46 into a three gallon batch of 1.082 wort at 62. I had signs of fermentation when I looked three hours later: quickest ever for me.

Not all that long ago I pitched a pack of S-04 straight from the fridge at 46 into a three gallon batch of 1.082 wort at 62. I had signs of fermentation when I looked three hours later: quickest ever for me.[/quote]

I’m talking about liquid yeast. If you warm it up before pitching it starts consuming its nutrient reserves before it gets into the wort. That’s not an issue with dry yeast.

Not all that long ago I pitched a pack of S-04 straight from the fridge at 46 into a three gallon batch of 1.082 wort at 62. I had signs of fermentation when I looked three hours later: quickest ever for me.[/quote]

I’m talking about liquid yeast. If you warm it up before pitching it starts consuming its nutrient reserves before it gets into the wort. That’s not an issue with dry yeast.[/quote]

Oh sure, NOW you tell me. :wink: