Reuse starsan?

How does one reuse starsan? Right now i have a 5 gallon bucket mixed with starsan for bottles, spoons and hydrometer etc. Could i just transfer water from the 5 gallon to the 6.5 gallon bucket? Maybe someone has a better way?

Put a lid on your 5 gallon bucket. Then open it when you need to “reuse” it. :wink:

As a side note, you don’t “need” to make 5 gallons. I only make 1 gallon at a time. But the cost of 1oz to make 5 gallons is so small, it’s not going to break the bank.

i mean when i fill up the 6 gallon ferm bucket and bottling bucket. can i just use the 5 gallon and add more water if needed and not add anymore starsan

Are you pertaining to sanitizing or storing? How I sanitize my carboys and buckets is simple. I fill them just over half way, let them sit for a few minutes, then flip them upside down, and let that sit for a few minutes. I dump the stars an back into the storage bucket and put the lid on it and we are good to go. I keep reusing it. If it sits for a month or two,I’ll make new. I read a thread on this forum that as long as the PH is below 3. something,it is still good to use.

IIRC, the bottle says it needs 2 minutes contact time. In interviews with Charlie Tally, he has mentioned 30 seconds. 2 minutes must be to satisfy the FDA.

That 2 minutes doesn’t need to be a “submerged” time. Just being “wet” will work just fine. That is why I mention I only make 1 gallon at a time.

If you do make 5 gallons, for Ale Pale/bottling bucket I would put ~2g in. Then use my hand to swish the Starsan solution around to the top of the buckets. Splashing it onto the lid. Then pour it back into the 5 gallon bucket. Put a lid on it and save it for the next use.

This is the process that I use.

Listen to the March 22, 2007 interview with Charlie.

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?p ... radio-2007

Not sure if i understand but if your asking do you have to fill the enire fermenter or bottling bucket up to sanitize it the answer is no. I use a spray bottle filled with star san solution. Spay the inside of the bucket really good then put lid on. Im paranoid so i usually do it a few times then dump out whats at the bottom before i transfer.

If I’m reading this correctly, no, you just can’t add more water. The dilution rate is so the pH stays below 3. If the mixture you saved is running low and you just add water you will be diluting the star san too much, making it ineffective.

If I’m reading this correctly, no, you just can’t add more water. The dilution rate is so the pH stays below 3. If the mixture you saved is running low and you just add water you will be diluting the star san too much, making it ineffective.[/quote]

+1 I mix at the 1 ounce per 5 gals water rate but don’t always make 5 gals as suggested above. Put a gal or 2 in a carboy, over the top and swirl it around turning upside down to ‘contact’ all surfaces. You don’t need to fill barboys or buckets to the brim to sanitize them. Spray some on bucket lids, spoons, etc let it sit 30 secs you’re good to go

just make sure your mixing it with distilled if you saving and reusing.

Check the pH. As long as it’s under 3 it’s safe to reuse it.

some tap water doesnt do a thing with star san. I checked mine once, very hard water and ph was not even below 3 with the standard mix. Best to just use distilled or RO

If I’m reading this correctly, no, you just can’t add more water. The dilution rate is so the pH stays below 3. If the mixture you saved is running low and you just add water you will be diluting the star san too much, making it ineffective.[/quote]

+1 I mix at the 1 ounce per 5 gals water rate but don’t always make 5 gals as suggested above. Put a gal or 2 in a carboy, over the top and swirl it around turning upside down to ‘contact’ all surfaces. You don’t need to fill barboys or buckets to the brim to sanitize them. Spray some on bucket lids, spoons, etc let it sit 30 secs you’re good to go[/quote]
^this. I keep a spray bottle on hand of starsan. I wash then spray everything before i use it. havent had a problem with bacteria or anything.

Spray bottles are also handy to check for leaks on kegs due to the foaming action of star san.