Resurrecting A Stuck Fermentation - Weizen Doppelbock

Shame on me, I neglected to aerate my 1,080 OG wort of Weizen Doppelbock, in which I pitched a 1/4 gallon of White Labs WLP-351 Yeast. I did a full double decoction mash, boiled the wort for 90 min, cooled through a plate chiller and pitched the yeast. After fermenting the brew at 64F for 10 days, I brought my stainless BrewBucket upstairs to warm it to 70F after taking a gravity reading and freaking out over seeing the beer was now at 1,040. I let it go for 3 more days, and it didn’t budge. So I quickly ordered a smack pack of #3333 Wyeast German Wheat, did a small starter that got going fast, and pitched it into the stuck brew (krausening). Sure enough, with a little careful agitation and swirling of the beer in my Big Mouth Bubbler ported secondary, it dropped to 1,020. So I bottled it with corn sugar tablets, anxious to see how it tasted with 2 different Weizen yeasts.
Since I spent almost a year of my life in Germany, I’ve had plenty of Weissbier and that was my original inspiration for getting into brewing - making authentic German beer. Over the last 19 years of brewing, this blend of yeasts and averted disaster led to a beautiful Weizenbier, no hot alcohol solvent-like flavor, and an even balance of clove to banana flavor with some earthy malt flavor underneath that I used to get when I would brew Weizens with Brewer’s Resource CL-930 German Weiss yeast when they were in business.
Lesson learned - stuck fermentations are best remedied with an active slurry of new yeast and gentle agitation of the beer.
Cheers!

1 Like