Replanting shoots?

So my second year hops are going crazy. My Chinooks and Centennial are 7-8’ tall and I have new shoots coming out everywhere. Today I was trimming them and when lifting them up uncovered “hairy white roots”. Are these things that can be transplanted to expand my crops?

Seems like I am going to have a lot of these…

Yeah, you can pull up and replant budded rhizomes wherever you want new plants. Or give them away to friends, that’s what I do.

[quote=“560sdl”]
Seems like I am going to have a lot of these…[/quote]

Hahaha! Wait till next year . . .

[quote=“560sdl”]So my second year hops are going crazy. My Chinooks and Centennial are 7-8’ tall and I have new shoots coming out everywhere. Today I was trimming them and when lifting them up uncovered “hairy white roots”. Are these things that can be transplanted to expand my crops?

I plan to give it a try with my goldings once they get a bit longer.

[quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“560sdl”]So my second year hops are going crazy. My Chinooks and Centennial are 7-8’ tall and I have new shoots coming out everywhere. Today I was trimming them and when lifting them up uncovered “hairy white roots”. Are these things that can be transplanted to expand my crops?

I plan to give it a try with my goldings once they get a bit longer.[/quote]

I tried with three shoots that I was going to toss and it looks like two of them are going to work.

I planted 4 or 5 varieties in my woods this weekend. Should be interesting

Last year while cleaning up around a bine i accidentily pulled the bine. It had no roots at all. I stuck it in a glass of water and it promptly grew tons of roots. That was halfway through the year last year and on a 1st year rhizome. This year the plant is growing like a beast…though it could be because it is a cascade. They seem to grow like they are on roids.

Did you do something like this? Been in water for two days now and still alive. Wondering if it will be transplantable eventually?

Yup, that is exactly what i did. In fact, i have one going right now. My cascade cutting is about a week and the root that has started is about a half inch. Once the root sprouts it will grow fast. If you can get a cutting where the bine is still a youthful green, it will sprout quicker.

Yes. The first few I did really didn’t go any where, but I replanted a couple that came along a bit later and were newer and a nice “youthfull green”; they quickly showed signs of growing.