Reinhardt brew #2

Hello again fellow brewers,

I have the Honey Kolsch in the primary!!! Now that I have a temp control, this has been much better than the last. I have ordered the Karma Citra IPA for my next one.

2 Likes

Temp control is the bomb!

#1 thing you can do. You can have the best equipment, top quality ingredients, pristine water. Doesn’t mean anything if you can’t control fermentation temps.

1 Like

Yeesh, you don’t have to yell at us, eh! :smile:

2 Likes

Yeah not sure what happened there! Seems I’m on fire tonight! :imp:

Aww I figured it out. I started the three with the # sign which must have done that!

I just discovered yesterday that with the Kveik yeast, temperature control is not a big deal. Pulled first pint and WOW (yes yelling) for being fermented in about the high 70’s or more, it sure is clean.

I’ll try to post a photo later. A bit early to start now.

Well the Honey Kolsch is in the Bottles for 2 weeks now. Chilled and pop a few, but they were low on carb. I guess I need to wait a little longer. My closet was only 65 deg. I have bumped it up to 73 with a small heater. Would have done that earlier, but I had the Irish Red just starting in the primary.

1 Like

I’m wondering why my Honey Kolsch is so dark. I expected it to be lighter.

Anything in bulk will look shockingly dark. If you were to pull a sample in a hydrometer jar, it would look much lighter than that.

I agree, but even the bottles I tried look more like the Irish Red than a Bud Light.

You can get a lighter colored finished beer by not adding all the extract at the beginning of the boil. Add enough extract for about a 1.040 wort. This is/has been thought to be an optimum SG for bittering hop oil isomerization. Adding most of the extract with 10 to 15 minutes remaining in the boil reduces darkening of the wort.

Ok, Thanks. I don’t mind that its dark. I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong.

Yes. Indeed. The kveik. Awesome stuff.