Rehydrated at ~200* - What to do?

So, I just totally screwed up and pitched my yeast safale s-04 in water to rehydrate within about a minute of removing the water from a boil.

My question is, do I pour the wort into the carboy as I normally would (once cooled), then let it sit overnight, and hit a local brew shop in the morning in the hopes they have safale s-04?

Do I pitch what I have and hope for the best?

Should I try proofing what I’ve just rehydrated to see what’s what?

Just cool it as normal, transfer to a carboy and pitch what you’ve got but do plan on picking up another pack of yeast. Possible some yeast survived but it won’t be many and you’d be severely under pitching just counting on the survivors.

Don’t sweat it though, the beer will still turn out.

What you did illustrates one of the main reason that many of us advocate not rehydrating. I’ve never found rehydrating to make enough difference to be worthwhile, and if ya don’t do it, ya can’t screw it up!

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Yeah, Denny, the really annoying thing about it is that for my first two batches I pitched dry and had no problems. Thought I’d try rehydrating and BOOM! I screw up. Heh.

I’ve baked bread before and never made this mistake when rehydrating during that process, but I usually haven’t had two beers along the way, either :wink: .

I’m gonna proof and see what’s up. Is there any harm in leaving the wort in the carboy overnight without yeast? I’d rather pitch fresh tomorrow than pitch twice…

Yeah, it’s toast. No activity after an hour of sitting in sugar water. C’est la mort :wink:

Hopefully it’ll be OK if I just pitch tomorrow. I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t be…

Hrm…I did harvest some US-05 this afternoon…should I use that, or will that not jibe well with Dry Irish Stout?

IMO, it would be better than S04.

+1 to Denny’s posts.

Interesting. I’ve read up a bit on reusing yeast, but have never tried it. Totally understand if y’all don’t wanna hold my hand through this, but in case anyone’s bored :wink:

• It came from a Chinook, OG 1.058, going into a Dry Irish Stout, OG 1.046. Is this OK? I’ve heard you should move up in gravity if you reuse…
  • Should I wash it first since the Chinook is super hoppy (comparatively, at least)?
  • Should I make a starter?
  • I have probably about a cup; how much should I use?

[quote=“ickyfoot”]Interesting. I’ve read up a bit on reusing yeast, but have never tried it. Totally understand if y’all don’t wanna hold my hand through this, but in case anyone’s bored :wink:

• It came from a Chinook, OG 1.058, going into a Dry Irish Stout, OG 1.046. Is this OK? I’ve heard you should move up in gravity if you reuse…
  • Should I wash it first since the Chinook is super hoppy (comparatively, at least)?
  • Should I make a starter?
  • I have probably about a cup; how much should I use?[/quote]

You don’t have to move up in gravity. No need to wash. I’d say use it all, no starter.

A’ight, cool, I’ll give it a shot. Just pulled it out of the fridge, so I’ll let it get up to room temp first.

Thanks again!

[quote=“ickyfoot”]A’ight, cool, I’ll give it a shot. Just pulled it out of the fridge, so I’ll let it get up to room temp first.

Thanks again![/quote]

I always take it out of the fridge and pitch immediately, while it’s still cold. If you let it warm up, it comes out of dormancy and starts consuming its nutrient reserves. I want that to happen once the yeast is in the beer, not before.

OK, well, it’s still cold, although it’s been out of the fridge for probably an hour. Sanitizing the funnel and then we’ll see what’s what!

So, if I understand Mr. Malty’s calculator correctly, it sounds like I might only need ~1/4 cup of slurry. It’s actually really thick (couldn’t even siphon it; had to basically and nervously use the auto siphon as a pump). Should I just go ahead with 1 cup anyway?

[quote=“ickyfoot”]OK, well, it’s still cold, although it’s been out of the fridge for probably an hour. Sanitizing the funnel and then we’ll see what’s what!

So, if I understand Mr. Malty’s calculator correctly, it sounds like I might only need ~1/4 cup of slurry. It’s actually really thick (couldn’t even siphon it; had to basically and nervously use the auto siphon as a pump). Should I just go ahead with 1 cup anyway?[/quote]

Split the difference and use 1/2 cup.

OK…fingers crossed that my settings are right. I did 4.0 for yeast concentration and 15% non-yeast material…

Moved it up to 25% non yeast (lots of trub visible) and it’s still basically saying 1/4 cup (56 mL). I’ll go with a half cup as you suggested.

It’s in! I’ve read that active fermentation should kick in pretty fast and furious with slurry. Is that true? And, under what circumstances should I consider repitching?

Thanks again for all the insight :slight_smile:

OK, there was little to no activity this morning, but now it’s bubbling pretty steady, the kreusen is forming, and the temperature is climbing…looks like we’re off!

Congrats, man.

Thanks again, Denny! Got a good churning going. Temp is a little low (~63) and the airlock bubbles are coming a little slow, but the yeast are definitely reproducing. Lots of cake at the bottom already. I think I’m in good shape.

IMO, 63F is fine.

Dropped to ~60 (been pretty cold here for a few days), so I wrapped it in a towel, put the cardboard case back over it, and put a blanket over that. No change, but the krausen is about ~1" and the lock is burping every 4 seconds or so, both of which jibe with the Chinook fermentation, which resulted in ~72% attenuation. I’m highly optimistic!

So, how will this be different than if I’d used S-04? My guess is a bit drier/more alcoholic, but will the flavor profile be markedly different in other ways?

Just did a search, and sounds like US-05 more or less stays out of the way of the flavors imparted by other ingredients, whereas S-04 imparts something of a butterscotch flavor. If that’s true, I’m kinda glad I screwed up!