Regulator issue

I have what I think is a Bayou Classic (?) propane burner. Love it, but lately I have been having trouble with the connection to the propane tank. Tanks clearly have propane, but I cannot get it to come out. It happened once about 6 months ago and I returned the exchange tank as defective, but last weekend I had to fuss with this thing constantly. Literally I had to unscrew and screw on the regulator 10 time and rotate it until I could get gas out. Then it might die after a while.

Anyone had something like this happen? Any ideas how to fix? It could be the tanks, but multiple ones?

Yep, have had it happen on a couple of tanks. Got an extra LP to make sure I had a seeless switch for my boiling wort. Switched and could not get it to work. Drove to the store to get another and the same thing happend. Finally was able to wiggle and retighten the regulator to make a tighter fit to the tank. Think I shimmed it somehow later. Miss the days of the old tanks without all the safety features.

Could it be the safety overflow device? I think when you connect the tank & burner regulator should be shut off. Make the connection then slowly open the tank valve and then slowly open the burner valve. I read somewhere people having the overflow shut off gas flow to their grills if they forgot to turn on the tank and left the burners open when they opened the tank valve.

Mike

So you think it is more the tank? These are exchange tanks.

[quote=“mbg”]Could it be the safety overflow device? I think when you connect the tank & burner regulator should be shut off. Make the connection then slowly open the tank valve and then slowly open the burner valve. I read somewhere people having the overflow shut off gas flow to their grills if they forgot to turn on the tank and left the burners open when they opened the tank valve.

Mike[/quote]

I will have to check that. I have 3 tanks and when there is a problem in the middle old a boil, I am in a mad scramble to get one running. So I have not really paid attention to “steps”

[quote=“mbg”]Could it be the safety overflow device? I think when you connect the tank & burner regulator should be shut off. Make the connection then slowly open the tank valve and then slowly open the burner valve. I read somewhere people having the overflow shut off gas flow to their grills if they forgot to turn on the tank and left the burners open when they opened the tank valve.

Mike[/quote]

I will have to check that. I have 3 tanks and when there is a problem in the middle old a boil, I am in a mad scramble to get one running. So I have not really paid attention to “steps”

I think your problem is with your gas hose, as there is a flexible shutoff nipple in one of the fittings, ( shine a light in the hose ends, you should see it),it is there as a safety feature, in the event there is a massive leak,( re: QUICK pressure drop!), to close off the flow with a higher ( differential) pressure on the upstream side of the flow.

Not saying I condone this practice, but in a PINCH, you could remove said nipple, ( tee hee hee!), and rock on with your brewing.

That said, as long as the hose shows no signs of chafing or fraying, and no one is wielding a Machete whilst in the gas flow mode, you’ll be fine.

It’s just another safety feature added in recent years, “For your protection” , and to stem future litigation.

You know , like “This coffee is hot, and will burn your dumb a$$”, on the McDonalds cups.

It ain’t the tank, 'cause you can open it, sans hose and regulator, and watch it empty itself as the valve freezes up.

[quote=“Stealthcruiser”]I think your problem is with your gas hose, as there is a flexible shutoff nipple in one of the fittings, ( shine a light in the hose ends, you should see it),it is there as a safety feature, in the event there is a massive leak,( re: QUICK pressure drop!), to close off the flow with a higher ( differential) pressure on the upstream side of the flow.

Not saying I condone this practice, but in a PINCH, you could remove said nipple, ( tee hee hee!), and rock on with your brewing.

That said, as long as the hose shows no signs of chafing or fraying, and no one is wielding a Machete whilst in the gas flow mode, you’ll be fine.

It’s just another safety feature added in recent years, “For your protection” , and to stem future litigation.

You know , like “This coffee is hot, and will burn your dumb a$$”, on the McDonalds cups.

It ain’t the tank, 'cause you can open it, sans hose and regulator, and watch it empty itself as the valve freezes up.[/quote]

How exactly would I find this? between the regulator and the burner in the braided hose?

And no, you cannot just open the valve and gas comes out. The valve has to be on for gas to flow…

Well it turns out it was the regulator. I took the hose off the end of the regulator and could get no gas to come out no matter what I did. I went to the hardware store and bought a new regulator and hose. Two more trips later to the hardware store for adapters and fittings, I was able to combine the two hoses to create a longer one and after that everything worked like it should, except my brew day was much longer yesterday

Sorry for the slow reply, I was busy all weekend and didn’t get to check out my Propane stuff.

But glad you found your issue! :cheers: