Red malt for IPA?

I’m planning a IIPA in the 1.080 range and would like to accent the 2-row with something malty that will give some red color. Has anyone tried melanoiden malt in an IPA? How much would you reccomend as a percentage of the malt bill? Any other suggestions for the red effect I’m looking for? I’m planning just 2-row and one other malt for accent, all grain…

Thanks!!

[quote=“Demus”]I’m planning a IIPA in the 1.080 range and would like to accent the 2-row with something malty that will give some red color. Has anyone tried melanoiden malt in an IPA? How much would you reccomend as a percentage of the malt bill? Any other suggestions for the red effect I’m looking for? I’m planning just 2-row and one other malt for accent, all grain…

Thanks!![/quote]

Lately I’ve been experimenting with adding a touch of CaraAroma malt to my IPAs in conjuction with my usual bit of Munich…for some nice deep amber/red color and a beautiful, subtle malt undertone. Haven’t tried melanoiden in my IPA (though I’ve used it in other beers where it wouldn’t be expected, with great results).
I can’t think of a single reason not to try it …you should try it and report back (If for no other reason than the fact that it’s the only way you’ll know for sure if you like it). Go for it.

:cheers:

Indeed! Any advice on the amount %age wise?

Below is the recipe for one of my house recipes.

Devil’s Sin Amber IPA
[attachment=1]Devil’s Sin Amber IPA.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=0]Devil’s Sin Amber IPA Pint.JPG[/attachment]

For a deep red color, use 1/2 lb of a crystal 60 and 1/2 lb of a crystal 120 for a 5 or 6 gallon batch. The actual types of grains used can be whatever you’d like, but just make sure that one is ~60 L and the other is ~120 L.

Enjoy.

Try about 15% carared.

NB shows carared at 20L and Melanoiden at 25-ish (22-30). The descriptions don’t talk about any flavor impact for carared but mention a deep “malty” character for the Melanoiden. It would seem like I could get by with a little less on the Melanoiden, but they are similar. Do you agree? Have you used both? Why do you prefer the carared? I’m going for a real citrusy hop character and want to sort of trick the drinker into thinking there’s a fruit addition without actually adding any…

NB shows carared at 20L and Melanoiden at 25-ish (22-30). The descriptions don’t talk about any flavor impact for carared but mention a deep “malty” character for the Melanoiden. It would seem like I could get by with a little less on the Melanoiden, but they are similar. Do you agree? Have you used both? Why do you prefer the carared? I’m going for a real citrusy hop character and want to sort of trick the drinker into thinking there’s a fruit addition without actually adding any…[/quote]

I get a weird kinda malty flavor from carared in amounts more than about 5%. Maybe that’s just me. I can use carared in a much larger % and it seems to just enhance the malty flavor.

[quote=“gregscsu”]Below is the recipe for one of my house recipes.

Devil’s Sin Amber IPA
[attachment=1]Devil’s Sin Amber IPA.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=0]Devil’s Sin Amber IPA Pint.JPG[/attachment][/quote]

Sorry to blow up the posting with a huge quote, but Gregscu are your 1st and 2nd hop additions (listed as 20min) actually FWH?

Edit - Just saw the notes on the recipe card, yes they are fwh.

[quote=“dsidab81”][quote=“gregscsu”]Below is the recipe for one of my house recipes.

Devil’s Sin Amber IPA
[attachment=2]Devil’s Sin Amber IPA.JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=1]Devil’s Sin Amber IPA Pint.JPG[/attachment][/quote]

Sorry to blow up the posting with a huge quote, but Gregscu are your 1st and 2nd hop additions (listed as 20min) actually FWH?

Edit - Just saw the notes on the recipe card, yes they are fwh.[/quote]
Yes FWH, and 0 minute additions actually dry hops as listed in the notes. That recipe was made in EZ Brew 1.0, I have since made several changes to the spreadsheet.

Here is the current version that I plan on brewing in the next week or two.
Note that this is set for 85% mash efficeincy and the water additions are calculated for untreated St. Paul, MN tap water. Be sure to use campden tabs for chlorine/chloramine removal, as it is not listed on the recipe.
[attachment=0]Devil’s Sin Amber IPA.JPG[/attachment]

I regularly use campden, as well as, ~ 2 grams each of gypsum and CaCl in my mash. I’ve noticed on a few of your recipes you add Epsom salt, where others you don’t.
I know our local water is a bit low on Mg, is that the only reason for the Epsom addition?

[quote=“dsidab81”]I regularly use campden, as well as, ~ 2 grams each of gypsum and CaCl in my mash. I’ve noticed on a few of your recipes you add Epsom salt, where others you don’t.
I know our local water is a bit low on Mg, is that the only reason for the Epsom addition?[/quote]

I do use it to increase Mg in my brews as we are typically low on Mg in St. Paul. Right now we are currently at 2ppm Mg, which is very low. I like to use epsom to bring that number up to between 5 - 10 ppm Mg. The Epsom also provides sulfate lowering the chloride/sulfate ratio in beers where I want that accentuated. ie. IPA, APA.
I have also found that if using only gypsum to raise your sulfate level it can lead to an excess of Ca, where as using epsom and gypsum you can balance the increase in Ca and Mg to keep them at an acceptable level, while still raising the sulfate.
All that being said, I usually am only adding 1-2 grams per 5 gallons.

In recipes where I did not use epsom, it would be because the Mg was at or above 5-10 ppm and I was adding chloride to accentuate the maltiness of the beer. Adding epsom in this situation would be counter productive.

I didn’t realize we had dropped to 2, I thought last I checked it was still 7. Guess it’s time to actually look at the water report I downloaded.

[quote=“Denny”]
I get a weird kinda malty flavor from carared in amounts more than about 5%. Maybe that’s just me. I can use carared in a much larger % and it seems to just enhance the malty flavor.[/quote]
Dang. I wish I knew about this Tuesday night when I placed the grain order for my next few batches. I’ve been wanting a grain that would give me a red hue while also keeping the beer fairly light in color. I didn’t realize Carared is only 20L.

I just checked and neither of my local HBS’s stock Carared.

I thought I would report back on my first experience using CaraRed. I just brewed a beer yesterday using 2 pounds (15%) of CaraRed. I also used 6 oz. (2.7%) of Special B–which should also impart some redness. I would say there is was a subtle red tint to the finished wort. Nowhere near the “deep” red is indicated in the product description.

Caramunich gives a red color, but it also adds sweetness. It comes in a three grades, I think, with the darkest being 40 L. I’ve been thinking about the same issue - I want to copper up my Altbier but I don’t want to add sweetness.