Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Recommended Brewpot Size

I’m slowly entering into all-grain brewing and am in the planning stages. What would you recommend for a brew pot size for the 10 Gallon All-Grain NB system? Normally I would only be doing 5gal batches but would like the scalability to do more from time to time.

I think most would agree the minimum brewpot size recommended is batch size + 5 gal. I brew my 10 gal batches in a 15.5 gal kettle and that works well for me.

Edited for grammar errors.

That’s probably a pretty good rule of thumb.

Ok I had always thought it was something like +5 but I’d hate to not follow some real world experience, thank you.

You are welcome. BTW, where about in Orlando are you? I grew up in Orlando, specifically in Winter Springs, graduated from UCF in '97, lived in that area until '00 then moved around.

+2 Same here.

I just moved from Downtown to Winter Garden which is now all new houses and shopping, a lot of the 30-somethings are coming over here. Great place to live, 15 minutes from Downtown, etc etc.

Again thanks for the Pot advice, I have a new Blichmann burner on it’s way and should be making a kettle decision here soon.

I’ll just go ahead and say go for 20. You can do it in a 15 gallon kettle, and I did for years. But having that extra room is very nice. On my 10 gallon batches, I’m shooting for a final volume of 11 gallons. For a 90 minute boil with the boil off rate, that puts my preboil volume at 14.8 gallons.

If you have room on your stand, you won’t regret going bigger.

[quote=“DCBC”]I’ll just go ahead and say go for 20. You can do it in a 15 gallon kettle, and I did for years. But having that extra room is very nice. On my 10 gallon batches, I’m shooting for a final volume of 11 gallons. For a 90 minute boil with the boil off rate, that puts my preboil volume at 14.8 gallons.

If you have room on your stand, you won’t regret going bigger.[/quote]

totally agree here, 15 gal pot is marginal for 10 gal batches you will have to watch the pot like a hawk. I use a 15.5 gal keggle for 10 gals and the pot is really full a 20 gal would be much better.

I also do 10 gallon batchs and wish I would have spent a few extra $$$ on a 20 gallon…like others have said, your trying to get 11ish gallons post boil, so your going to be starting with around 13 gallons preboil, go for the 20

just to weigh in - modified (top cut off) kegs can be cheap on craigslist and you’re getting 15.5 there. you can always upgrade and use the keg for something else if you’re loving 10 gal batches and want what a 20 gal pot would give.

I went for the 25 gallon Mega Pot from NB… what a pot.

John

Buy a 20 gal.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com