Recommend a thermometer

So I am looking for a good, solid, lab thermometer to test my other thermometers against and probably use in my mash. I checked NB but it seems their “lab thermometer” is poorly reviewed and seems to be inaccurate and inconsistent. Looked a few other places and seemed to get mixed reviews as well. So what are you guys using that you trust and would recommend?

i think it was baratone brewer who recomended a thermapen to me

i got one, and i’ve been very satisfied with it

Yep, Thermopen.
Fast readings, accurate results.

I use one of these;
(https://www.vwrsp.com/catalog/product/i … =82020-744)
My local HBS has them, and it works very well, seems very accurate, and the probe is replaceable if necessary. I got mine from VWR before the local store had them, and it took about a month for delivery, but it works well, and the probe is waterproof and durable.

If you decide to go with the Thermopen, Thermoworks is currently running a special on them if you buy it in brown.

BB,

I was just there looking and saw that they also have ph meters. Are these any good? Would they work for me moving to all grain?

Aw damn, I can’t afford $89 right now, but I’ve been thinking about getting a better thermometer lately. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah unfortunately I dont think I can justify 90 bucks on a thermometer right now. Are there any other more reliable and consistent ones out there that every one is using?

The brown one is kind of ugly, but they are $79.

[quote=“560sdl”]
BB,
I was just there looking and saw that they also have ph meters. Are these any good? Would they work for me moving to all grain?[/quote]
Never used one of their ph meters before. From what I’ve seen they will work, but I would go with one that has a replaceable electrode and two point calibration.

The description shows that the Model: THS-813-560/812 “Pocket Ph” and “Pocket Ph Pro” only have a lifespan of 365 uses.

Model #'s 8680/8681 only have a 0.3 & 0.2 accuracy and non replaceable electrode.

The Model #8689 seems to be a sound meter with a replaceable electrode, 3 point calibration and is accurate. Replacement electrodes run approx $30 for this meter.

FWIW, I use a Hanna HI 98127 meter and have been very happy.

I have used dials, probes, glass lab, digital, etc. and they just did not want to agree. Then someone told me that they may agree at 32° or 212° but not in the middle of the range (Oh, you mean around mashing temps???!!!) and someone else told me that they should be calibrated each time you use them. So I took the plunge and picked up a Thermapen and I can’t tell you how happy I am with this little wonder. I have said it before… when you need to mash at 150° and 148 might be too low and 152 might be too high, you better be able to get the temp right. I know that one of my dials was reporting a few ticks too low which means I was mashing higher than I intended. I know these things are pricey and my brewing equipment is generally ghetto, but I have to be able to get the mash temp correct. Cheers.

I got an electronic one for $15 that worked really well (accurate at 0 and 100C). It had a convenient probe on a wire (for cooking roasts in an oven). What I learned from that thermometer is digitals are great…but try to find one that’s waterproof. Mine got hit with hot wort and then died when I rinsed it.

I use a $15 CDN and love it:

CDN proaccurate quick-read thermometer. It has built in calibration, so you can check that every once in a while. It reads fast and is waterproof. I also couldn’t justify spending $90+ on one, and this was the best alternative I could find that came highly recommended.

it looks like our host sells it too:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... meter.html
http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Profession ... 779&sr=8-4

anyone ever used one of these? it looks like it has an infrared function on the opposite end of the probe.

The brown one is kind of ugly, but they are $79.[/quote]
I don’t care if it’s ugly or not, it’s functional. Maybe I’ll buy one in a month or so when I’ve got more money.

[quote=“Beersk”]
I don’t care if it’s ugly or not, it’s functional. Maybe I’ll buy one in a month or so when I’ve got more money.[/quote]
You’ll be pleased with your purchase. No more cheap thermometers for me.

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”][quote=“Beersk”]
I don’t care if it’s ugly or not, it’s functional. Maybe I’ll buy one in a month or so when I’ve got more money.[/quote]
You’ll be pleased with your purchase. No more cheap thermometers for me.[/quote]

I ordered one

You can get stable readings with the Thermopen in less than 3 seconds if you swith it to whole degrees.

FWIW this is a $25 Thermoworks therm that has been excellent for me. Very fast readings.

And the link

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low ... t600c.html