Recipe Request

Today I’m going to pick up a couple items from my local guy Dennise. He carries a wide range of ingredients.

I was thinking about picking up ingredients to make a 5 gallon batch but there are one million seven hundred thousand and twenty three recipes out there that I have seen.

Can someone hook me up with an extract brew that I can give a shot at this weekend? Not complicated but something I can try and modify on future batches to see the effects of my changes.

Thanks ya’ll!

I recommend investing in the book “Brewing Classic Styles”. There are over 80 extract recipes in that book with each one being a very good example of a different style of beer. I am actually brewing the California Common recipe from that book tomorrow morning. You can find the book in most HBS, sometimes in Barnes & Noble and I found it on Amazon for under $15.

Or check out the “Recipe Exchange” board on this page. There are tons of recipes over there as well.

What do you like to drink typically? Hop-forward american pale ales? Maltier german ales?

http://www.bjcp.org/stylecenter.php

Take a look through these, narrow it down by style, and I (and likely others on here) can hook you up.

Also consider picking up a copy of “Brewing Classic Styles”. It has an award-winning recipe for every one of the styles in the guidelines. I have brewed about a quarter of them, and they have all been excellent recipes.

Another vote here for Brewing Classic Styles. Useful to extract and all-grain brewers.

http://www.amazon.com/Brewing-Classic-S ... sic+styles

I usually do one of two things when I want to make something that I haven’t been obsessing over for weeks prior to brew-day.

1. Find a kit on NBs website, and either order it, or figure out what’s in it using the pdf of the ingredient sheet that they provide, or,
  2. I find a recipe in Brewing Classic Styles, or on this website, http://beerdujour.com/jamilsrecipes.htm
    or similar reputable sources.

Although, if I were brewing today, I would do a Special Bitter with a bunch of EKGs

Need: 6 pounds extra pale or similar malt extract, 2 ounces of Cascade Hops, 1 pk Safale US05 yeast.

Easy Cascade SMASH
by harpdog on 3/1/2013 from tasting notes
Recipe Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.25 Gallon(s)
Boil Size: 6.5 Gallon(s)
Boil Time: 60 min
Efficiency: 75%
Brew Sessions (0)
Comments (0)
SMASH = Single Malt and Single Hop
FERMENTABLES
% lb oz fermentable usage
100% 6 0 Extra Pale Liquid Malt Extract
6 lbs 0
HOPS
oz variety type usage time
1 Cascade Pellet Boil 60 minutes
0.5 Cascade Pellet Boil 10 minutes
0.5 Cascade Pellet Boil 1 minutes
2 oz
YEAST
name attenuation
Fermentis Safale US-05 75%

OTHER STUFF
No Other Stuff in this Recipe
INSTRUCTIONS
Bring 3.5 to 6.5 gallons water to boil, shut off and add half of the extract
Return to Boil, add 1 oz. Cascade Hops for 60 minutes
With 20 minutes left, remove from heat and add other half of extract
Return to boil
With 10 minutes left, add 1/2 oz Cascade Hops for flavor
With 1 minute left, add 1/2 oz Cascade for Aroma
Cool wort to 70 degrees and add water to bring to 5.25 gallons
Pitch Safale US05 yeast. Dry is OK. Put on Airlock
Ferment in low to mid 60’s for 3 weeks, then bottle.

Here’s my thoughts on recipes. As long as they are put together well they don’t matter nearly as much as you might think. Awesome cleaning, perfect sanitation, proper yeast pitching rates and temperature appropriate fermentation will get you a lot closer to the perfect beer than a “perfect” recipe. A recipe with only three ingredients (one grain, one hop and one yeast) brewed perfectly is better than a fancy recipe brewed poorly.

All that said, Northern Brewer’s kits are all pretty good. You can click on Pick a style you like and do all the above things and you’ll get a good beer. People seem to love this one:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... t-kit.html

You can click on additional information and get the ingredient list.

[quote=“inhousebrew”]Here’s my thoughts on recipes. As long as they are put together well they don’t matter nearly as much as you might think. Awesome cleaning, perfect sanitation, proper yeast pitching rates and temperature appropriate fermentation will get you a lot closer to the perfect beer than a “perfect” recipe. A recipe with only three ingredients (one grain, one hop and one yeast) brewed perfectly is better than a fancy recipe brewed poorly.

All that said, Northern Brewer’s kits are all pretty good. You can click on Pick a style you like and do all the above things and you’ll get a good beer. People seem to love this one:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... t-kit.html

You can click on additional information and get the ingredient list.[/quote]

I agree with you there about recipes. Granted I spend a gross amount of time researching every ingredient im going to use, what i want from it, whats right for the style etc, but im starting to wonder if its possible to design a bad beer? Seems like as long as you put hops, grainn, yeast and water into the right places they want to make good beer, as a brewer you just have to try not to screw that up.

Ive been wanting to brew this. Cant get much more simple and seems well recieved. This would be great base recipe to substitute hops

Biermunchers centennial blonde from homebrewtalk

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centenn ... all-42841/

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal****
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

**** I’d assume you’re doing a partial boil- 2.5-3 gallons. If so double the 60 minute hops and you come close to IBUs

Lol, totally possible…
If you put a little time and reading into it and listen to advice and some general guidelines it’s pretty hard to mess up though.

And that Centennial Blonde noted above has been on my to do list for about a year now. Everyone who does it loves it.

Bad recipes? Yes. God yes. This was my fifth or sixth brew. You know, having done 4 or 5 brews, I was clearly an expert on recipe formulation. I brazenly posted this on another forum and again, got ‘nice’ responses of things like “interesting recipe”… Looking at this, I’m really not sure what I was thinking on any of these ingredients.

This scored a 24 in a local comp and I think the judges were just being nice. DO NOT brew this. Buy Brewing Classic Styles and brew those. If you’re intent on creating your own recipes, read through “Designing Great Beers” twice, for your sake and the sake of everyone drinking your beer.

I think my favorite part is the 158* mash temp.

72.7 12.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
9.1 1.50 lbs. Meadowfoam Honey
9.1 1.50 lbs. Rye malt 1.034 2
3.0 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
3.0 0.50 lbs. Aromatic Belgian 1.036 19
3.0 0.50 lbs. Dark Crystal
3.0 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 6

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time

0.50 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.60 25.3 60 min
0.75 oz. Centennial Pellet 9.00 21.2 45 min.
0.50 oz. Northern Brewer 9.50 4.4 15 min.
0.50 oz. Mt. Hood Pellet 4.10 1.4 10 min.
0.75 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.00 2.6 5 min.
1.00 oz. Mt. Hood Whole 6.50 0.0 Dry Hop - 10 days

Extras

Amount Name Type Time

1.00 Tsp Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast

Wyeast California Ale w/ 1.5L starter

Mash at 158oF for 60 mins. Sparge at 173oF for ~45 mins.

Notes
Primary Fermentation: 10 days at 70oF
Secondary Fermentation: 10 days at 65oF, dry hop with 1 oz Mt. Hood in muslin bag…

[quote=“Pietro”]Bad recipes? Yes. God yes. This was my fifth or sixth brew. You know, having done 4 or 5 brews, I was clearly an expert on recipe formulation. I brazenly posted this on another forum and again, got ‘nice’ responses of things like “interesting recipe”… Looking at this, I’m really not sure what I was thinking on any of these ingredients.

This scored a 24 in a local comp and I think the judges were just being nice. DO NOT brew this. Buy Brewing Classic Styles and brew those. If you’re intent on creating your own recipes, read through “Designing Great Beers” twice, for your sake and the sake of everyone drinking your beer.

I think my favorite part is the 158* mash temp.

72.7 12.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
9.1 1.50 lbs. Meadowfoam Honey
9.1 1.50 lbs. Rye malt 1.034 2
3.0 0.50 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
3.0 0.50 lbs. Aromatic Belgian 1.036 19
3.0 0.50 lbs. Dark Crystal
3.0 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 6

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time

0.50 oz. Columbus Pellet 14.60 25.3 60 min
0.75 oz. Centennial Pellet 9.00 21.2 45 min.
0.50 oz. Northern Brewer 9.50 4.4 15 min.
0.50 oz. Mt. Hood Pellet 4.10 1.4 10 min.
0.75 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.00 2.6 5 min.
1.00 oz. Mt. Hood Whole 6.50 0.0 Dry Hop - 10 days

Extras

Amount Name Type Time

1.00 Tsp Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast

Wyeast California Ale w/ 1.5L starter

Mash at 158oF for 60 mins. Sparge at 173oF for ~45 mins.

Notes
Primary Fermentation: 10 days at 70oF
Secondary Fermentation: 10 days at 65oF, dry hop with 1 oz Mt. Hood in muslin bag…[/quote]

I was lucky enough to stumble upon drew beechums brewing on the ones talk before I started making recipes. It had a huge impact on me, maybe more than anything else because the ideas I had before were likely close to that brew. Good intentions but the sum of the parts likely would not have added up. I’ve yet to have the restraint to brew on the ones but I debate everything I add which I think is part of my success. Reading designing great beers confirms it too, commercial brewers do not add touches of this touches of that. As home brewers were not really concerned economics or storage but still I’m a believer that flavorful yet clean and simple beer tops complicated over conceptualizer beer any day

That talk/seminar was awesome. I realized I needed to learn to make ‘boring’ beer. Two malts, two hops. Three malts, one hop. Iron out kinks in the cold-side of the brewhouse. Make simple beer, but make it well. Before making a double-chocolate peanut butter porter, learn to make a solid brown porter. My recipe above was before I adopted that mentality, and when I adopted that mentality, I started making awesome beer.