Recipe Kit Storage

I got several recipe kits for Christmas. I don’t brew often (about once a month at most). It will take months for me to brew them all.

So, how should I store them to make them stay as fresh as possible. I do not have a vacuum sealer, but I do have a deep freezer.

Your hops should be fine in the freezer without sealing (the packs are already sealed). Yeast in the fridge, malt in a cool dry place.

1 Like

Vacuumed sealed hops and yeast are best stored in the freezer for long term storage. For just a couple of months the refrigerator is okay. DME can be stored cool and dry for years. LME should be refrigerated.

1 Like

Yeast can be frozen? I thought that destroyed cell walls if you didn’t do a weird glycerin process…

Ya. New information from Danstar for dry yeast.
http://www.danstaryeast.com/articles/freezing-dry-yeast

1 Like

Ah… good to know. Original poster… dry yeast in freezer, liquid yeast in the fridge.

1 Like

So, dry yeast and hops in the freezer, and LME in the fridge. Got it.

Thanks all!

Depends on the heat temp at your area. Me got issues not putting dme in the fridge. It became hard like a rock. Now i vacume. And stick everything in the fridge

Massive brew day, then let it age? Sneezles61

I agree with @sneezles61 do some double brew days. Who knows how long those kits have been on the shelf already. But if you cant do that keep the stuff refrigerated.