Recipe from Palmers "How to Brew"

I was reading some of the more advanced stuff in the book and then noticed his recipe chapter. Spotted a beer I am vary curious about. It is meant to be a clone of the Anchor Steam I enjoy Anchor Steam when I can get it and thought this might be worth trying out. But I have some questions noted in the recipe below:

#4 Shay Steam – California Common Beer (extract version)
Malts:
3.3 lbs pale malt extract in boil
3.3 lbs pale malt extract at knockout (Does he mean at the endof the boil?)
0.75 lbs crystal 40L malt (Which grain do i choose? Breiss Carmel 40L ?)
0.25 lbs matodextrin powder

BG=1.048 OG=1.052

Hops :
1oz NB (7.5%) 60 mins
1oz NB (7.5%) 15 mins

Yeast: california lager (primary 2 weeks at 60F) (I assume I could use Wyeast 2112 Cal Lager)

Not sure what Palmer meant with his options for the extarct version.

I think I could probably do this beer with a makeshift swamp color using ice to keep the water in the 60F range. Assumign I have no need to much lower then that.

Thoughts on this? I want to try this as my next personal batch. Proabbly in March unless I pick up another primary carboy.

[quote=“cyberdiver”]I was reading some of the more advanced stuff in the book and then noticed his recipe chapter. Spotted a beer I am vary curious about. It is meant to be a clone of the Anchor Steam I enjoy Anchor Steam when I can get it and thought this might be worth trying out. But I have some questions noted in the recipe below:

#4 Shay Steam – California Common Beer (extract version)
Malts:
3.3 lbs pale malt extract in boil
3.3 lbs pale malt extract at knockout (Does he mean at the endof the boil?)
0.75 lbs crystal 40L malt (Which grain do i choose? Breiss Carmel 40L ?)
0.25 lbs matodextrin powder

BG=1.048 OG=1.052

Hops :
1oz NB (7.5%) 60 mins
1oz NB (7.5%) 15 mins

Yeast: california lager (primary 2 weeks at 60F) (I assume I could use Wyeast 2112 Cal Lager)

Not sure what Palmer meant with his options for the extarct version.

I think I could probably do this beer with a makeshift swamp color using ice to keep the water in the 60F range. Assumign I have no need to much lower then that.

Thoughts on this? I want to try this as my next personal batch. Proabbly in March unless I pick up another primary carboy.[/quote]

knockout = end of boil
use any 40L crystal you’d like; even sub in up to 60L if 40L isn’t easy to track down
Your plan to keep ferm temps lower seems fine; try your best to hold them steady

I haven’t brewed this recipe but you should brew it and see what you think of it. It’s fairly straight-forward. Some would recommend pitching 2 smack packs or using a starter. Have fun with it.

Yeah figured I would use a starter with the 2112.