Recipe Critique

Hey guys. I am getting ready to do my first all grain brew and wanted to get some feedback on the recipe I came up with. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Malts
American Two Row Pale - 10 pounds
Briess Caramel Munich 60L - 2 pounds
Biscuit Malt - 6 ounces
Briess Aromatic Malt - 6 ounces

Hops
Mt. Hood ~ pellet: 1 ounce, boil for 35 min
Chinook ~ pellet: 1 ounce, boil for 20 min

Miscellaneous Ingredients
Whirlfloc Tablet: 1 tablet, boil for 15 min
Cinnamon Sticks: 4 sticks, boil for 10 min
Nutmeg: 2 ounces, boil for 5 min

That’s a lot of crystal (almost 20% of the grist). What are you shooting for with those hop choices and boiling times?

Yeah, I agree.

So can I ask a question? Where is this coming from? Is this based off of something? Or just something you tossed together? No offense, I just don’t really know what the end result should be.

First off, I would recommend a book about recipe design, I liked Ray Daniels Designing Great Beers. It’s simple and straight forward.
Second, I would say that you should simplify right off the bat. Drop the caramel munich, or sub in regular munich, Do one hop addition at 60 minutes and one at 10.

Again, what style are we looking for here? And what yeast?

You are missing yeast :smiley:

Check this out http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/2 … n-the-ones

At the least drop all the cinnamon and nutmeg. No matter what style your going for id also suggest doing a sixty minute hop addition for one of your hop additions, drop a pound of crystal and choose between the biscuit and aromatic.

I have no idea what style your shooting for. You need to include more info such as beer style, sg,fg,ibu’s,size of batch,yeast strain.then your grain bill and hop schedule. then we will be able to help you.

I based my recipe off of one I found over at Hopville.com but made a couple of adjustments to it.

The style of beer that I was hoping to get is a Winter/Christmas Ale that has a more pronounced hop aroma and flavor.

OG: 1.070
FG: 1.019
IBU: 44
Yeast: Safale S-04
Batch Size: 5 gallons

Based on some of the feedback I have gone in and made a few adjustments to the recipe. Still trying to get a Winter/Christmas Ale that has more a more pronounced hop flavor. Batch size is still 5 gallons.

Malts
American Two Row Pale - 10 pounds
Briess Caramel Munich 60L - 1 pounds
Briess Aromatic Malt - 6 ounces

Hops
Mt. Hood ~ pellet: 1 ounce, boil for 60 min
Chinook ~ pellet: 1 ounce, boil for 10 min

Miscellaneous Ingredients
Whirlfloc Tablet: 1 tablet, boil for 15 min
Cinnamon Sticks: 4 sticks, boil for 10 min
Nutmeg: 2 ounces, boil for 5 min

OG: 1.063
FG: 1.017
IBU: 38.8
Yeast: Safale S-04
Batch Size: 5 gallons

Everything except the nutmeg looks OK to me - two teaspoons is a lot of nutmeg and it would take about 15 whole nutmegs to make two oz.

Oops. Minor typo that got carried forward via copy/paste. Only planning on using 2 teaspoons.