Recipe Critique for sweet Milk stout- suggestions?

My 1st attempt at all grain recipe with a small amount of DME to bump the abv and keep my grain bill some what manageable :smiley:
by the way is SRM of 39.09 is this to dark?
Hard to judge/ tell on web and pictures…whats a good SRM for a sweet milk stout?

by the way i like smooth and silky with good body milk stouts not overly sweet but not hoppy or bitter…
stout beer im trying to replicate
I’m in california and have sampled Bike Dog brewery “Milk stout”… dng thats good!

Familiano Milk Stout - All Grain
Added By: 2brew559
Method: All Grain with some DME
Style: Sweet Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.94 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.043 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 35% (brew house)
Original Gravity: 1.054
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 5.29%
IBU (tinseth): 27.71
SRM (morey): 39.09

Fermentables
Amount: Fermentable: Bill %: My reason for using
11 lb - United Kingdom - Golden Promise -60.3% - base malt
2.25 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Pilsen - 12.3% - manage Grain bill & up ABV%
2 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L -11% - sweetness and caramel/ flavors
1.25 lb - Flaked Oats - 6.8% - body and silkyness mouthfeel & head
1.25 lb - United Kingdom - Pale Chocolate - 6.8% - Toasty & chocolate aromas & taste
0.25 lb - German - De-Husked Caraf III -1.4% - SRM darken wort color “only”
0.25 lb - United Kingdom - Chocolate -1.4% -add slight more toasty and chocolatey to pale chocolate…-

18.25 lb Total Grain Bill

Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time
0.5 oz Magnum Pellet 15 Boil 60 min IBU: 27.71

Mash Guidelines
Amount Description Type Temp Time
6.2 gal mash in water needed for 155 degrees Temperature 166 degrees 60 min

3.82 gal Mash out stop starch conversion Sparge 170 F –

Starting Mash Thickness: 1.55 qt/lb :cheers:

35% efficiency? That seems to be affecting your numbers, I would fix it and repost.

I would go back to your last post and read through the responses more closely. Like your last recipe, this seems to be a pretty busy recipe and can be improved by simplifying.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=122662&p=1070716#p1070716

If its your first attempt at the style, or in this case at all-grain brewing, I would stick a tried-and-true recipe, such as Jamil’s Triple-X, or an AG recipe from the sponsor, and try to brew it well. The lactose you are going to add will give the beer sweetness and some mouthfeel.

check this out for guidelines on the style (IBU, SRM, ABV, etc.), but again, I would stick to a recipe that is formulated to make this and learn make it well, then you can riff on that.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style13.php

I know its hard to just stick to a recipe as opposed to writing one yourself, but you will be rewarded with good beer that you brewed.

Pietro

Thanks solid and great advice…I will listen and resist the urge to tamper with a recipe till I learn some things…

I will check out the jamil-X sweet milk stout recipe! Thanks alot and to everyone else on the previous posts! :cheers: