Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Really want to brew today OK to pitch the smack pack?

Well didn’t plan on brewing today brewed yesterday but due to unforeseen circumstances (kids are at grandmas and the wife got called into work :slight_smile: ) I now have about 6 hours of free time.

So I have a 1056 smack pack that I just pulled from the fridge. The beer im about to brew is a 5Gal AG Honey Brown Ale with a OG around 1.050.

In all the time I have been brewing I have never not made a starter except with dry yeast.

Pitch it.

Yeah, your beer might come out better if you make a starter. But when you gotta brew you gotta brew, and as long as that smack pack isn’t ancient it’ll come out fine.

Guess I should put that on here 04JAN13

The strike water is heating up.

[quote=“GoldenChild”]Well didn’t plan on brewing today brewed yesterday but due to unforeseen circumstances (kids are at grandmas and the wife got called into work :slight_smile: ) I now have about 6 hours of free time.

So I have a 1056 smack pack that I just pulled from the fridge. The beer im about to brew is a 5Gal AG Honey Brown Ale with a OG around 1.050.

In all the time I have been brewing I have never not made a starter except with dry yeast.[/quote]

Starters are not needed for dry yeast. The cell count is high enough.

Technically you may be under pitching. But many tasty beers are made with out a starter. Only you can decide if it is necessary for your palate, if a starter is necessary for a smack pack/vial of liquid yeast.

[quote=“Nighthawk”][quote=“GoldenChild”]Well didn’t plan on brewing today brewed yesterday but due to unforeseen circumstances (kids are at grandmas and the wife got called into work :slight_smile: ) I now have about 6 hours of free time.

In all the time I have been brewing I have never not made a starter except with dry yeast.[/quote]

Starters are not needed for dry yeast. The cell count is high enough.

Technically you may be under pitching. But many tasty beers are made with out a starter. Only you can decide if it is necessary for your palate, if a starter is necessary for a smack pack/vial of liquid yeast.[/quote]
Yeah I know that Nighthawk you miss read it I’m saying i have always made a starter except when I have pitched dry yeast. Thanks for the reply

Mr. Malty says you’re massively underpitching and you need to go out and buy two more smack packs right now.

But Mr. Malty’s kind of a weenie. I think he might be a shill for the yeast-industrial complex, too. More yeast would definitely be optimal. But many a time I’ve ignored his protests and always end up with good beer despite my reckless behavior.

[quote=“GoldenChild”]
Yeah I know that Nighthawk you miss read it I’m saying i have always made a starter except when I have pitched dry yeast. Thanks for the reply[/quote]

-1 for my reading comprehension today. :oops:

If your yeast isn’t ready, you’re no more ready to brew than if you don’t have malt or hops. I wouldn’t do it. Your choice.

[quote=“Nighthawk”][quote=“GoldenChild”]
Yeah I know that Nighthawk you miss read it I’m saying i have always made a starter except when I have pitched dry yeast. Thanks for the reply[/quote]

-1 for my reading comprehension today. :oops: [/quote]

Don’t feel bad, I read it exactly the same way at first

You could do a 12-hr “starter” by pitching the yeast to a half-gallon of the wort and giving it plenty of O2, then when you start to see krausen, aerating the rest of the wort and pitching.

Well I did it. Like Denny said probably shouldn’t of it was one of those brew days where everything went wrong including me getting called into work in the middle of my mash.

Well I’m sure i’ll have made beer no mater how it turns out… Dont know if it will be drinkable but it will be beer.

Wanted to update this older post to say that the beer turned out fine.

I’ve done this with lagers and harvested yeast, works nicely.

Glad the beer turned out alright.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com