Ready for St Patrick's Day!

Living in a place without any Irish heritage, you need to prepare in advance for this holiday.

That’s a home corned beef, with a keg of dry stout in the background. Now just have to find some cabbage and dig up some potatoes :smiley:

handsome.

Care to share your brine recipe?

I didn’t do a dry stout this year as we will be out of the country for St. Patty’s…and man I miss my stout.

I brewed an Irish Red. If I take it easy this week I should have enough left to take to the family dinner on Sunday afternoon.

Next year I will have to brew a little closer to St. Paddy’s day. Gave myself too much time this year!

I’ve got a dry stout that’s been bottled for about 3 weeks and an irish blonde ale that I’m hoping to get into a keg by Friday and speedy carb. My wife and daughter are vegan so they get taters n’ cabbage. I’m making a shepherds pie for me and the boys. Slainte! :cheers:

No problem, though it isn’t anything special - or anything that can be readily replicated somewhere else.

About 3/4 cup of locally produced pickling mix (mostly salt, but also contains unnamed spices) per liter of water. Make enough to cover the meat. I also added a few sliced garlic cloves.

Did this last year, and it turned out fantastic. Can’t wait to boil it up.

looks good. My carboy of dry stout is cold crashing in the fridge as I type this. I’ll keg it on friday and probably tap into it on saturday. The wife will be whipping up some corned beef and cabbage.

We brined a brisket last year and it was awesome :slight_smile: Takes about 10-12 days but so worth it. We’re doing one for Easter this year.

Alton Brown did a great Good Eats episode

about it. It’s easier than you’d imagine :slight_smile:

Here is another recipe for doing corned beef at home that I’ve used the last few years:

http://ruhlman.com/2010/03/corned-beef-how-to-cure-your-own/

I’m not sure how it compares with Alton’s recipe, but Michael Rulhman has a great book called “Charcuterie”:

http://www.amazon.com/Charcuterie-Craft-Salting-Smoking-Curing/dp/0393058298

All this talk of brisket and beer is making me hungry and thirsty! Dry stout is sitting in the garage awaiting tapping this weekend. . .

Inviting over around 10ppl, and plan on having the following on tap:

Dry Stout on nitro
American Irish Red (chinook bittering/ centennial for aroma)
German Pils
Shiner Bock clone
American Brown ale

Corned Beef and Cabbage, potatoes and carrots, sauerkraut and bratwurst.

[quote=“CapnJB”]We brined a brisket last year and it was awesome :slight_smile: Takes about 10-12 days but so worth it. We’re doing one for Easter this year.

Alton Brown did a great Good Eats episode

about it. It’s easier than you’d imagine :slight_smile: [/quote]
I’ve found that doing most things yourself at home are easier than most folks imagine. Even brewing beer. :mrgreen:

How it looked on the table

Later that night, the sky turned green. And here I had thought there was no Irish heritage in Finland!

Nice!

Cool!

Cool!