Re-yeasting?

HI, New to this forum and a “beginner” brewer. Was interested in purchasing NB’ers 115th Dream Hopbursted Imperial IPA and read some reviews. Many of them were concerned about non-carburation and suggested re-yeasting at bottling time. Can someone please explain “re-yeasting” to me in laymans terms, simple terms. How much? when? etc. Thank You.

Just pitching a little more yeast before bottling to make sure it carbonates. High alcohol can make a tough environment for yeast and time also degrades yeast viability so pitching more at bottling time can ensure a good carbonation.

Also, it’s tempting to go for the big kits as a beginner but it’s typically better to ease into the process with a lower gravity kit. Just my opinion though.

No need to use any special yeast for bottling - just get a packet of US-05 or S-04 and sprinkle up to a half of it onto the beer in the bottling bucket. Roll the top down on the packet and tape shut, put it in a sandwich baggie, and store in the fridge for the next batch.

To reyeast, add 3-4 grams of dry yeast to the bottling bucket with your sugar and beer. That’s about 1/3 of a 11.5g pack. Use either US-05 or S-04.

Reyeasting ensures that you have enough strong yeast able to ingest the added sugar in the bottles for carbonation.

Good luck!
:cheers:

2-3g is all that is really needed. I prefer the S-04 since it forms such a compact layer.

To reyeast, add 3-4 grams of dry yeast to the bottling bucket with your sugar and beer. That’s about 1/3 of a 11.5g pack. Use either US-05 or S-04.

Reyeasting ensures that you have enough strong yeast able to ingest the added sugar in the bottles for carbonation.

Good luck!
:cheers: [/quote]

What other choices of yeast if you don’t have S-04 or 05?
S-33, Munton’s, Nottingham?

Nottingham, if you have it.

Hi There, Thanks for the info. regarding “re-yeasting” appreciate it much. You are probably correct about easing into the brewing with a lower gravity brew. I’ll make it to the bigger boys level soon though, I’m hopping! Thanks again.

The brand of dry yeast doesn’t matter too much as it doesn’t give any sort of flavor contribution. Like Baritone said, 2-3g is all you need. I like S-04 just because it seems to carb pretty fast and floc well into a nice solid layer.

Good luck!
:cheers: [/quote]

What other choices of yeast if you don’t have S-04 or 05?
S-33, Munton’s, Nottingham?[/quote]

Any of those will be fine. You use so little and so little fermentation happens that you don’t get any flavor from bottling yeast.

[quote="Denny]
Any of those will be fine. You use so little and so little fermentation happens that you don’t get any flavor from bottling yeast.[/quote]

Even for a strong beer? I have a 10% barleywine that’s been bulk aging for five weeks. I’m thinking about bottling next week which shouldn’t need any re-yeasting, but I might end up leaving it several months.

[quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“Denny”]
Any of those will be fine. You use so little and so little fermentation happens that you don’t get any flavor from bottling yeast.[/quote]

Even for a strong beer? I have a 10% barleywine that’s been bulk aging for five weeks. I’m thinking about bottling next week which shouldn’t need any re-yeasting, but I might end up leaving it several months.[/quote]

About any yeast I can think of is OK at 10% ABV.

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“Denny”]

Even for a strong beer? I have a 10% barleywine that’s been bulk aging for five weeks. I’m thinking about bottling next week which shouldn’t need any re-yeasting, but I might end up leaving it several months.[/quote]

About any yeast I can think of is OK at 10% ABV.[/quote]

Good to know, thanks.